Uzebox revolution!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
DaveyPocket

Re: Uzebox revolution!

Post by DaveyPocket »

I viewed the different bursts, option 0 makes a small rainbow shadow of everything, but keeps the picture stable. Option 1 makes a very small flicker effect, but fixes the rainbow shadow, option 2 is almost exactly like option 1, I can't tell a difference on my commodore CRT.
I will pot pictures soon. I like options 1 and 2 over 0 just because the image isn't such poor quality.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks for the update. There should no be a lot of difference between 1 & 2 as it's only a 1 clock cycle difference. Have you tested the SVIDEO out?
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I have not tested out s-video yet, I haven't attached that to my Uzebox. But, on my Commodore CRT in the back, there's three plugs, on for audio, one for chroma, and one for luma, basically, it's s-video without the small 4 pin connector, I will make a quick s-video connection to test this out.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I tried S-video, I cannot see any difference at all between the three options. The main thing this affects is the composite output. And options 1 and 2 are close in comparison, there are very small detail differences between options 1 and 2. But for s-video, I see no difference.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hehe, thats was is expected then. And that's what I trying to say for a while...composite sucks! Using SVIDEO is usually crisper and doesn't suffer all the artifacts of composite. Plus is doesn't need that hack that have some LCD TVs freak out.

I guess you see some quality improvement between SVideo and composite on your monitor?
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I do see major improvements on the Uzebox, and my Commodore 64! :mrgreen:
I dug around in some boxes and found the luma and chroma cables for the Commodore, that thing has a horrible video output on composite, worse on RF!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

You know I just tough about how I will fix that for the moment without introducing settings menus or EEPROM stuff. When booting or reset happens, if player one's joypad has certain button(s) pushed, the kernel will start in "composite fix'" mode otherwise pure NTSC and LCD friendly. What d'ya think? :D I assume most peoples have Svideo on their TVs...after all, it's almost 2009 for crying out loud! :lol:

Uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I mostly do this retro stuff on my old Commodore CRT, which thankfully has a weird S-video thing. I do it so I can do Nintendo Zapper and Super scope stuff. All the TV's in my house are LCD.

I like the EEPROM idea with the composite video setup stuff. What I really want to try this on is an old Apple II RGB CRT. I believe RGB CRT was based on NTSC synchronization, but it has straight through RGB inputs :mrgreen: That would be pretty cool just to see if it worked. Too bad I don't have one.
tim1724

Post by tim1724 »

I just built a Fuzebox kit yesterday. (nice job on the kit, ladyada!)

Here are my results, using composite output on a Sony CRT television:

0: lots of garbage. some very noticeable diagonal stripes on the hills in the background. (I'll try to take a picture soon.)
1: significantly improved. most color artifacts are gone. The diagonal stripes are much improved as well, but are still present.
2: a noticeable improvement over #1. The diagonal stripes are gone and the text is pretty much perfect. the coins in the upper-left are still very bad though.

It's a somewhat odd TV.. it's a CRT HDTV. Based on things I've seen with other video sources, I think it might be doing an analog->digital conversion on SD inputs and performing some signal processing on the result before outputting it to the CRT.

I'm going to get an svideo cable soon, and see what the results look like then. I'm seeing some noise (mostly light/dark streaking over areas of the screen) which I'm hoping svideo might clear up. (on the other hand, it might be a problem with the filter caps.. I need to recheck my soldering.)

I'm also going to test my Fuzebox on another CRT. I'm planning to get an LCD in the next few months, but I don't have one yet. I think I might be able to test some LCDs at work, though.
tim1724

Post by tim1724 »

DaveyPocket wrote:What I really want to try this on is an old Apple II RGB CRT. I believe RGB CRT was based on NTSC synchronization, but it has straight through RGB inputs :mrgreen: That would be pretty cool just to see if it worked. Too bad I don't have one.
I have the RGB monitor which came with the Apple IIgs. I would not be surprised at al if it works that way. It almost certainly ran at NTSC timing, given that the machine could also output NTSC on a composite video port, and I know it used an analog RGB input. Someday I'll have to see if I can make that work. I bet it would give good results if it does. I have the Apple IIgs hardware reference at my mom's house.. I'll have to dig that out sometime and see if it has any useful info on the monitor.