Asteroids

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
CunningFellow

Re: Asteroids

Post by CunningFellow »

I can't say for the Atari arcade version how many asteroids or size. However mine which is based on memory of playing 10's of different clones has.

3 different shape rocks
3 different size rocks
the rotations are 1/64 (with the extra 4 counts in the byte being fractional so rotations are smooth)

Because I have plenty of CPU time left I am only storing ONE copy of each rock at full size. I then rotate to angle, scale to size, translate to screen.

I also have (not shown on screen yet) words, score, lives all on screen as well. I have a total of up to 200 objects at once.

But back to a limited version. 3 shaped rocks in 3 different sizes 10 points each and 1/64 rotation. Yes plenty of space for it.

I actually have an idea for a new uzebox screen mode which will trade some pixels for lots of CPU time. I will keep that rabbit up my sleeve till I see it working though :D
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi to all hackvision has that game you can download it at http:/nootropic design.com .hackvison/game.html pce :geek:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I actually have an idea for a new uzebox screen mode which will trade some pixels for lots of CPU time. I will keep that rabbit up my sleeve till I see it working though
Can't wait to see it! :)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The Hackvision one is quite low res and non-vector.

It would be trivial to do that in one of the sprite/tile modes on Uzebox.

I think we hope to make a bit better looking game of asteroids than that using the vector mode on Uze.
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hello to all....Hi cunningfellow it would be a great remake game for the uzebox esp if it had the old vector glow fx to it like the original arcade game version had !! this guy tryed to implement in code to the mame emulator ... Http://www.robeesworld.com/files/vector-142diff ........ Hint hint @hartly . @ uze I googled an found a emulator that has the vector filter in its called ...aae emulator check it out bros!!!! Now if the uzebox emulator or hartlysgame implented that vector glow fx ....that would it be great!!!!!! :geek: :D p.s bros if that link dont work just google mame glow hack to see what I mean and the code for that .pce :mrgreen: :idea:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Been doing some profiling on vector mode.

The hard limit of how many 15 pixel lines you can get in one field is ~~70.

This leaves no time for game logic, so I will have to draw=odd, logic=even as someone suggested.

Still this will not be enough lines for a hectic level of Asteroids so I will have to tweak video mode or settle for limited number of rocks.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The hard limit of how many 15 pixel lines you can get in one field is ~~70.
I recall that there was a lot of optimizations that could be done on the line drawing function. The strategy would be to have many line functions optimized for each kind of possible lines (i.e: going up, down, vertical, horizontal, 45 deg, etc). I reckon that could yield a +30% or better improvement in speed. But be warned, getting you head around this assembly code give headaches! :lol:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I already have a 12 case optimized line draw for my LCD asteroids.

H+
H-
V+
V-
H+V+ M>0.5
H+V+ M<0.5
H+V- M>0.5
H+V- M<0.5
H-V- M>0.5
H-V- M<0.5
H-V+ M>0.5
H-V+ M<0.5

At the moment they are in C. I am going to have to make them ASM though as gcc seems to do a woeful job of optimising.