New Game for JAMMA: Sharpgunner Gallery

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
ggvicviper

New Game for JAMMA: Sharpgunner Gallery

Post by ggvicviper »

Hey guys, just wanted to share that I completed a game over the past few months during the lockdown. It's called Sharpgunner Gallery. It's a vertical-screen shooting game for the UzeBox JAMMA, and it uses only background tiles in Mode 3; no sprites. Game maxed out at just around 40KB.

Here's a link to it in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAaK0izlFpR ... _copy_link
Here's a link to the .UZE binary if you want to try it yourself: https://github.com/mmarta/sharpgunner-g ... rogram.uze

Let me know what you think!
CunningFellow

Re: New Game for JAMMA: Sharpgunner Gallery

Post by CunningFellow »

Nice work.

I was expecting the music to be "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" when I first saw the images.
ggvicviper

Post by ggvicviper »

CunningFellow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 pm Nice work.

I was expecting the music to be "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" when I first saw the images.
Haha! Well, that will always be my #1 gaming inspiration and all time favorite. I have a few Gyruss PCBs as well. Thanks for the compliment!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Want to do a full blown Gyruss with rotating scaling sprites and all that ?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hey nice work, that really looks great.
ggvicviper

Post by ggvicviper »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:34 am Hey nice work, that really looks great.
Thanks!
CunningFellow wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 am Want to do a full blown Gyruss with rotating scaling sprites and all that ?
As much as I love Gyruss and am inspired by it, I don’t think I’d want to remake it straight up. In addition to Gyruss already being perfect, I’d like to try to see what other shooter ideas could be tried with the Uze, and particularly using only tiled graphics.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Sweet! This looks good!
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Hey cool, a JAMMA game! We don't see these too often. Nice work, looks fantastic. I gave it a quick play and seems like loads of fun and quite polished. If I may make a suggestion, utilize a C macro to conditionally compile a non-JAMMA version of the game that maps the input to the standard SNES controls, and orients the screen normally (if the resolution allows for this). That way the game will be more accessible to the community. For JAMMA games you have to plug in two controllers to insert a coin and start play on a standard Uzebox. I only know this because I've adapted my own games to be JAMMA compatible (Iros and Tank Fu. You can find JAMMA roms on those pages if you're curious).

Out of interest, do you have a working JAMMA Uzebox board? I never quite got my attempt at building one to work.

Anyway, great to see new Uzebox games popping up :)
ggvicviper

Post by ggvicviper »

L4rry wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:37 am Hey cool, a JAMMA game! We don't see these too often. Nice work, looks fantastic. I gave it a quick play and seems like loads of fun and quite polished. If I may make a suggestion, utilize a C macro to conditionally compile a non-JAMMA version of the game that maps the input to the standard SNES controls, and orients the screen normally (if the resolution allows for this). That way the game will be more accessible to the community. For JAMMA games you have to plug in two controllers to insert a coin and start play on a standard Uzebox. I only know this because I've adapted my own games to be JAMMA compatible (Iros and Tank Fu. You can find JAMMA roms on those pages if you're curious).

Out of interest, do you have a working JAMMA Uzebox board? I never quite got my attempt at building one to work.

Anyway, great to see new Uzebox games popping up :)
Thanks for the kind words! While I have considered the possibility of building a non-JAMMA version of the game, it will take some time to do that work (and some design consideration for the text placement, or if I’d need to shrink the playable area and account for that). I haven’t yet done that because I’ve always had this in mind to be a vertical/tate arcade game. Plus, with my 2nd kid being born since the last post, time is somewhat precious :P :mrgreen: Still, I’ll think about it a bit and see if I can come up with a way for it to work if time does permit at some point.

I have a few working UzeBox JAMMA PCBs. I actually didn’t assemble them myself though. Thanks for letting me check out your JAMMA games too, I’ll give them a try in my setup later.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

ggvicviper wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
CunningFellow wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 am Want to do a full blown Gyruss with rotating scaling sprites and all that ?
As much as I love Gyruss and am inspired by it, I don’t think I’d want to remake it straight up. In addition to Gyruss already being perfect, I’d like to try to see what other shooter ideas could be tried with the Uze, and particularly using only tiled graphics.
Shame - I'd love to see a port of Gyruss.

Does anyone else reading want to collaborate and do a 2BPP Gyruss?

My Benchmark would be if you can be better than the Atari 5200 it would be a success

https://youtu.be/kU_IVn6i-fw?t=137