EUzebox - a SCART based Uzebox for the EU

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
CunningFellow

Re: EUzebox - a SCART based Uzebox for the EU

Post by CunningFellow »

"Blue wire" is the term for a fix done with wire on a PCB. It is called "blue wire" because that was the traditional colour used by some famous company.

Any colour Kynar wire will do http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/131653013213

You don't actually do the fixes by wire-wrapping. You just use the slit and wrap tool to strip the thin wire and then solder it on. Much the same way you have there, but with thinner wire that is easier to manage/bend.
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

Is anybody selling a EUzebox kit/assembled. I tried google with no luck.

Or the latest pcb and bom.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Hi and welcome,

I talked to Harty who made the PCB's. Currently he has no PCB for sale.
So, why not building a Euzebox by yourself? It's very easy!
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

Kilo,

Thank you for the reply. I will gladly do it my self, is there a BOM so I can make sure I order the right parts. It would also be great is the pcb files where available so i could order myself.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Look here for Euzebox schematic and part list:

http://belogic.com/uzebox/downloads.htm
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'd like to build an EUzebox too.

The schematic is on the downloads page but I only see a BOM for the regular Uzebox and no parts list for the EUzebox. I should imagine its largely the same but it would be nice to know the differences or have a dedicated EUzebox part list / BOM.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:29 am I'd like to build an EUzebox too.

The schematic is on the downloads page but I only see a BOM for the regular Uzebox and no parts list for the EUzebox. I should imagine its largely the same but it would be nice to know the differences or have a dedicated EUzebox part list / BOM.
Wouldn't the official site help? https://www.hwhardsoft.de/english/archive/euzebox/ The construction manuals show the parts, though if necessary, I have both a V1.3.1 Uzebox and an E-Uzebox (with SPI RAM hacked on it) here to check.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi Jubatian!

Thanks for the link! I've only just noticed now that I can get to that same, official Euzebox page by clicking on the Euzebox kit link on the main Uzebox.org page! I can't believe I'd not clicked on that until now! Indeed that was very helpful because the official site has a construction guide PDF which also includes a parts list. Of course, this describes how to build one with a barrel adapter, which is what I'll be doing unless the the guy who built one on YT tells me what parts I need to create one with microUSB power instead.

The Euzebox construction guide / BOM PDF is missing and the link to the official site is broken on the Uzebox downloads page:

http://belogic.com/uzebox/downloads.htm

It seems the Euzebox kits are no longer available so I'll have to buy all the bits myself.

I should imagine the tricky bit will be sourcing the SNES controller inputs. What is my best bet here? Buying a SNES multi-tap or a couple of extension cables or can I actually buy them individually somewhere?

Finally, hardware wise, what display do people recommend? Obvs it needs to handle NTSC (and PAL) SCART. I've heard bad things about trying to use SCART to HDMI adapters.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm I should imagine the tricky bit will be sourcing the SNES controller inputs. What is my best bet here? Buying a SNES multi-tap or a couple of extension cables or can I actually buy them individually somewhere?
Last time I picked up a bunch of those from here: https://www.zedlabz.com/collections/ret ... pack-black

For display if it has SCART, it should probably work. The main problem is that "oldschool" video signal has 15.6KHz line frequency, while the standard VGA for monitors start at 31KHz (for VGA 640x480). Monitors which are not built to handle traditional video aren't able to pick up that low line frequency. If it has SCART, it means it can handle these line frequencies, and I don't think it would have problem with PAL/NTSC (same line frequency) if sent as RGB, unless it is an actual CRT. EUzebox sends RGB.
danboid

Post by danboid »

It seems that Harty never uploaded any gerber files for the EUzebox either to the forum or to his own site as far as I can see.