EUzebox - a SCART based Uzebox for the EU

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: EUzebox - a SCART based Uzebox for the EU

Post by uze6666 »

Yes, the av breakout has the rgb and csync signals so there should be no reasons one could not simply connect it to a scart plug.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Just built her!
euzebox.jpg
BTW, yes, that cheap $50 SCART converter is awesome and those cheap $10 RGB SCART ebay cables you see for every console under the sun have worked %100 perfect for several different consoles I bought them for. The setup is worth every $0.01 no matter what country you are from.

EUzebox is no exception, picture is razor sharp and rock steady on my North American LCD! Don't be scared of that weird looking plug the Europeans came up with, you will come to love it quickly as I have :lol:
This looks good. I've posted some month ago my good experiences about this SCART--> HDMI converter somewhere in the forum. I've tested it here with some TV Sets and it works fine. (It's a little bit useless in Europe, because all these TV sets have a SCART input too)
cosam

Post by cosam »

Harty123 wrote:It's a little bit useless in Europe, because all these TV sets have a SCART input too
We might be needing them sooner than you think. My current TV is probably 6 years old and has three SCART sockets and two HDMI. I was however looking at new TVs recently and noticed a lot of them (I think mostly Samsung) are all HDMI and no longer have even one SCART socket!
xiaolong

Post by xiaolong »

Was building Euzebox clone and local electronics shop doesn't sell 28.63636MHz crystal or oscillator. Closest they have is 28.322MHz oscillator, which is about 1 % off. Deciced to give it a try and turned out everything works just fine :D Seems that Euzebox is not that picky about the frequency :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It's more your TV that is forgiving I think . :) That would probably not work with a composite signal since the color modulation requires a precise frequency.
neslou

Post by neslou »

You are right Uze..
I have made a EUzebox clone also... Everything is ok with the scart output directly on the TV..
Now, i have bought little NTSC/PAL rear car monitor and it doesn't work directly...
I will have to build or buy a Uzebox with the AD725 i think...
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Harty did you put any more thought into the expansion module for the E/Uzebox? Maybe even a new revision that uses some of that prototyping area for a footprint for an ESP-E 8-)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Alright so I wanted to get my EUzebox online but upon deeper consideration there is not the required pins broken out on version 01-05. I thought for a second I could fit it all on the prototyping area and with enough jumper wires and careful layout it could be, but I wanted this to look clean in the end. What I went for is simply supporting the existing removable Uzenet module. While I am waiting on the mail to bring me the newest ESP-E version I used the older module that I socketed to swap ESP-01s. I wired up the programming pin so it will fully support all the features of the newest version.

Well here are some pictures, as soon as I resize these I realized I forgot to wire the SPI. From the looks of it I will need to wire it to the underside of the ISP in a similar manner to the existing lines. When that is done I will probably put a bit of super glue to reinforce the physical strength of the wiring to avoid problems in the future.
EUzeboxUzenetModuleTop.jpg
EUzeboxUzenetModuleTop.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
EUzeboxUzenetModuleBottom.jpg
EUzeboxUzenetModuleBottom.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 15259 times
Tested it and it works great. It isn't too bad a solution since I think the only no solder solution would be to remove the 644 and insert it into a cradle that intercepts the lines between the PCB socket with the expansion stuff.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Have you ever tried Kynar wire with a basic strip and wrap tool for your "blue wire" ?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I used those breadboard type wires and got them quite flat but it would likely be cleaner with smaller gauge wire. I have never tried wire wrapping actually, would you mean to wrap them to the right pins layered over eachother and apply a bit of solder after the fact or no solder? Also what is meant by "blue wire"?