Midi Interface

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
NoOne

Midi Interface

Post by NoOne »

I have got a fuzebox kit and I want to try out the midi interface ...
But I cant find a schematics pdf or software hex file.
Are these files available for download anywhere?

NoOne
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Midi Interface

Post by uze6666 »

Excellent! Hardware hacking at last!!! :mrgreen:

If you are not using the FTDI interface to program the ATMega (who does anyways ;-)), you can use its connector and make an external MIDI module for it. I've connected my little breakout board made for my initial prototype and it works great...nothing to solder!

The Uzebox MIDI interface is described on schematic D1 (though I noticed there's a small mistake, pin 6 of the PC900 should be connected to VCC). To make things easier for you and other Fuzebox owners, I've quickly made a dedicated "sub-schematic" (that is now also available in the download section):

To go along it, here's a demo HEX file that you can use to triggers notes from a MIDI sequencer. And for Uzeboxers outhere....a little extra! I've included a song made a long time ago to test the PCM channel, but that was never published (it was supposed to be part of Sparkfun's AVCore demo). I've also included a ZIP of the project, which is quite messy and based (unfortunately) on an old kernel. I'll try to port it when I get more time.

musicDemo.hex
(111.67 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Sources:
http://belogic.com/uzebox/files/SparkfunMusicDemo.zip

Enjoy!

-Uze
NoOne

Post by NoOne »

Thank you :P I'll try this coming weekend .....
NoOne

Post by NoOne »

I just soldered all together but I've got some electrical problems. When I connect a midi device the video singal gets fuzzy and the fuzebox finally crashes after 2-3 seconds. I used a 1N4007 diode instead a 1N914 ... could this be related?
The built-in midi file works well.

Thanks!
TheNoOne
Flecko

Post by Flecko »

One is a rectifier, and one is a small signal diode. Basically, they're intended for different purposes. (And yes, I know they're both types of diodes.)

My guess is that the rectifier isn't keeping up with the relatively high-speed midi signal, and is causing software drive issues.
If you can, try swapping out with another diode.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The current MIDI code doesn't support most controllers and doesn't have much checks to ignore them, so that could explain the crashes. Try playing back the MIDI file included in the attached project. What sequencer are you using?

-Uze
NoOne

Post by NoOne »

I forgot to mention regardless which program I'm running on the fuzebox fuzzy image and cpu hangup always appears. So it has to be some kind of electrical problem. I'm going to search for a 1N914 :roll:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

NoOne wrote:I forgot to mention regardless which program I'm running on the fuzebox fuzzy image and cpu hangup always appears. So it has to be some kind of electrical problem. I'm going to search for a 1N914 :roll:
Ah...So you have fuzzy stuff all the time or only when the midi interface is plugged in?
NoOne

Post by NoOne »

Happens if all is setup ... Midi interface connected to a midi keyboard which is turned on and sending data. If I turn off the keyboard and leave everything connected the fuzebox operates normally ..
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hmmm...interesting. Does it still has noise with that same setup (keyboard connected and sending midi data) but running some other rom like Megatris? If so, you may have problems with your mcu. Some chips don't support overclocking at 100%. Some will produces glitches on I/O ports, just like the Atmega644p. Btw, your chip is a 644 or 644p? Also you may trey to insure your keyboard doesn't emit midi clock or any other events but note on/note off to see if it still crashes.