encolsure (the box in uzebox)

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
ladyada

encolsure (the box in uzebox)

Post by ladyada »

ok i need to settle on an enclosure so im looking at my favvy enclosure site pactectenclosures.com the enclosures are good quality and in stock at a lot of shops.

the PCBs for making uzen wont be that big but the SNES connectors are hella wide so it needs to be >4" wide (and like 2" long). What i like to do is get an enclosure that has removable panels cause then its easy to machine (or make custom panels on a laser cutter :D )

This is the first thing i found:

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/Plastic ... 3-100.html

also available in black (which is a lot less ugly) and a paltry $6.50 in qty 1

the hammond cases are cool but the dimensions dont seem to be compatible - much too long for 4" wide

edit: here is my PCB layout that would fit in that case
you can see the SNES connectors and NES connectors (either) and an SD card
ladyada

Re: encolsure (the box in uzebox)

Post by ladyada »

update: got the box, it is perfect! theres even a little more room than expected, will post up pictures soon. still moving & the routing isnt done :(
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

So what color/box did you go with finally, I'd like to see that. Also, very nice PCB, looks very "please build me"! :D

Hope it will go well with the moving, good luck.

Uze
nubie

Post by nubie »

Cool, will there be room for RGB output?

I am thinking of using a 4-pin 3.5mm jack and instead of Stereo A/V just use it for RGB ;) (If you are a nutty RGB fan that is.)

DIY kit cost?
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

ya i went with the L43-100 box: its basic black ABS plastic. basically what is good about this box is the panels are long and removable and its got lots of PCB space. its also easy to 'machine' (drill holes, cut squares out with a knive/dremel)

i dont know how i feel about the RGB output. i mean it would be awfully nice but i think 99% of people will probably just plug it into their TV and be done with it. if you want to really hack it up, I suggest Clay's version since its way more flexible!