gamepad pins does not wiork

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
unrw

gamepad pins does not wiork

Post by unrw »

Hello everyone. I have bilt uzebox with NTSC tv out.
Burned game boot loader vrsion 0.45
I have tv AV signal with gamelist from SD card but SNES game pad does not work,
I checked CLK and LATCH pins om ATMEGA644 with oscillocsope and foud that they does not have signal
Accoring to SNES documentaiton CLK must have 60 Hz signal.
I think something wrong with 0.45 version or I made wrong bootloader, anyway I have a TV signal.
D3thAdd3r

Re: gamepad pins does not wiork

Post by D3thAdd3r »

That is one I never heard of, having tv signal but no 60hz on latch. Did you measure directly off the '644 pin, or is there some possibility there are bad solder points there, or not pushed into a socket far enough? If you connected the oscilloscope directly to the '644 pins then I guess there must be some software issue, or an issue with the '644(seems unlikely).

To eliminate the hardware issue, maybe you would like to try some of the earlier, pre-compiled versions to see if the problem is there too?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

unrw wrote:...Accoring to SNES documentaiton CLK must have 60 Hz signal....
Are you sure of this? If this was true, the SNES could only read about 4 controller states per second... In Uzebox the clock to the controller is pulsed much faster, rather prepare for something around 1 MHz, happening in short bursts once in a video frame (maybe you mixed this up there: the SNES likely reads the controllers at 60 Hz, that is once per frame, but for that, it has to pulse the CLK faster to get all the individual bits of a state).
unrw

Post by unrw »

pin16 connected to ground may affect to this?
unrw

Post by unrw »

or some fuses like JTAG may affect on this?

what is correct HI and LOW fuses for uzebox atmega644 ?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

As far as I know JTAG would not affect that. The correct fuse settings are here. The only reason you would need different settings than this, is if you had a different type of oscillator from the standard crystal specified in the BOM/schematic. Since you have video display, your crystal settings must be correct for the oscillator you have.
unrw

Post by unrw »

pin16 on ground does not affect
unrw

Post by unrw »

checked fuses HIGH and LOW all correct (use sinaprog 2.1)

video output is still work

checked CLK and LATCH pins without gamepad directly on ATMEGA644 with oscilloscope and no signal on PINS 37 and 38

may by I need to connect some 10k resistor to groud to 37 38 pins without gamepad before checking?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

unrw wrote:may by I need to connect some 10k resistor to groud to 37 38 pins without gamepad before checking?
I'm not sure, but I would make sure that your scope is setup to read some other low frequency pin on the '644 before assuming latch isn't operating at 60hz. It would seem quite rare for everything else to work on the '644, except 2 pins specific to the controllers. Did you try the older bootloaders or try flashing just a regular game.hex to it to see if it works? What controllers are you using?
unrw

Post by unrw »

D3thAdd3r wrote:
unrw wrote:may by I need to connect some 10k resistor to groud to 37 38 pins without gamepad before checking?
I'm not sure, but I would make sure that your scope is setup to read some other low frequency pin on the '644 before assuming latch isn't operating at 60hz. It would seem quite rare for everything else to work on the '644, except 2 pins specific to the controllers. Did you try the older bootloaders or try flashing just a regular game.hex to it to see if it works? What controllers are you using?
What is other low frequency pin on ATMEGA644 with bootloader?
I dont use controller while checking pins 37 snd 38.
where can I get reliable and 100% working bootloader?