Atmega1284P Test Results -- UPDATED!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Retrogadgets

Re: Atmega1284P Test Results -- UPDATED!

Post by Retrogadgets »

Hello everyone,

I recently built the euzebox using a 1284p as a had a spare from another project running a zx81/spectrum from this AVR, I flashed the 1284p and wondered why it wasn't working, not even displaying anything. One thing I am aware of the 1284p is not happily overclocked at 28mips , but runs happily at 20mips and lower. as with my other project.

Just so I can confirm that I flashed the Avr correctly, I can use avrdude ? flash the avr and then set the fuses ?

I used the following commands under windows xp

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m1284p -e -U flash:w:bootloader.hex
avrdude -c usbtiny -p m1284p -U lfuse:w:0xe6:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0xfc:m

everything was okay and verified, Or am I best using the 644 avr at the moment ?

If anyone has any comments please reply.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I Can't comment on avrdude since I don't use it, but you are definitely better using a 644, I had no luck running the 1284 at 28mhz and I tried a dozen chips. All the ones that showed up something on the screen had some glitches. Only by raising voltage to near breaking point did they get stable. And even then, some still didn't work at all.
Retrogadgets

Post by Retrogadgets »

Thanks Uze for the feedback, I will use a 644. Thanks again and I shall use your guide with regards to programming the 644 with avr studio!