Uzebox JAMMA

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
DaveyPocket

Uzebox JAMMA

Post by DaveyPocket »

For a while, I have been considering to design and build a Uzebox that would fit inside in arcade cabinet (I'm a collector now). From what I know, JAMMA is a standard across several arcade cabinets, meaning the edge connector is the same (basically, games can be interchangeable). What do you guys think of the idea?

My basic ideas:

- Board with edge connector for JAMMA
- No AD725 since arcade monitors have direct RGB and Sync inputs
- 4021 logic on board (Regular buttons and joysticks will need to be converted to work as SNES/NES controllers)
- Coin mechanism input on seperate port? (Or an extra bit on the 4021 (if any left))
- Sound amplifier on board
- DIP switches? (On another port)

I will work on a simple design.
TonyD

Re: Uzebox JAMMA

Post by TonyD »

DaveyPocket wrote:What do you guys think of the idea?
Sounds like a great idea.

I just wish I could convince my wife that an arcade cabinet would make a good piece of lounge furniture ;)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yep, it a neat idea. How easy is it to get those cabinets?
It's just wish I could convince my wife that an arcade cabinet would make a good piece of lounge furniture ;)
You could also make a cocktail cabinet, put a clothe on it with a flower vase when you wife is around... ;)

-Uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Yep, it a neat idea. How easy is it to get those cabinets?
Well, I look around on craigslist, usually I try to find any beat up cabinets that I can restore with its original game or convert to something else. I currently own Pacman and Space Invaders. Pacman I got on craigslist for around $200 (It is really beat up on outside, rusty on inside) I got the motherboard working and all. Space Invaders I got for free, except there was no motherboard. I found a craigslist post where someone was giving away cabinets (no motherboard, maybe no power supply, sometimes a monitor). I found the space invaders and brought that home with me, along with a bunch of parts from other cabinets! So it depends.

I haven't decided on what sort of cabinet the Uzebox should "officially" go into (Maybe a Nintendo or Namco cabinet, not sure) But I definitely want to design some sort of marquee or side art.
TonyD

Post by TonyD »

uze6666 wrote:... How easy is it to get those cabinets?
There are a couple of companies who will CNC you a new cabinet for $200-$300. I don't have their URL's to hand, but you check out the MAME forums I sure they'll get a mention there.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I finished the design and printed it on a PCB, all that's left is etching the board in acid and assembling (I do my own PCB etching). I will have pictures within the week.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

DaveyPocket wrote:I finished the design and printed it on a PCB, all that's left is etching the board in acid and assembling (I do my own PCB etching). I will have pictures within the week.
I really want to see the result of this one. I'm shopping for an old cabinet since you got the idea! Oh yeah, and be sure to post on Hack-a-day! 8-)

Oh, since you didn't post pics and some may not have realized they could go to your blog, I'm posting a pic...Paul will indeed be delighted by the idea of having Uzebox Pac-Man running in a real Pac-Man cabinet! :)

-Uze
paul

Post by paul »

Paul will indeed be delighted by the idea of having Uzebox Pac-Man running in a real Pac-Man cabinet!
Don't forget the youtube video if that ever happens :)
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

uze6666 wrote: I really want to see the result of this one. I'm shopping for an old cabinet since you got the idea! Oh yeah, and be sure to post on Hack-a-day! 8-)
I inspired another person! :D
uze6666 wrote: Oh, since you didn't post pics and some may not have realized they could go to your blog, I'm posting a pic...Paul will indeed be delighted by the idea of having Uzebox Pac-Man running in a real Pac-Man cabinet! :)

-Uze
I forgot about that! Yes, I do have a few pictures up there. That cabinet is in rough condition. When spring time comes I'll start working on it.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

So I plugged the my Uzebox into the Pacman CRT directly with RGB and Sync. The picture is stable, but it is very dim. I have the brightness set up to where it should be for the Pacman motherboard. Is there a certain spot on the R2R ladder that I should be taking the signal from?
What is the expected voltage & input inpedance for these monitors? Are you taking the signals before or after the 100nf capacitors?

-Uze