Uzebox JAMMA

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
codecrank

Re: Uzebox JAMMA

Post by codecrank »

I should note, I don't think my amplifier circuit was designed to be put all the way on max, it starts getting scratchy when the volume is adjusted higher than 2/5 of the way, it does that on all of them.
Yep, I noticed that. I'm lucky enough to have cabs that are JVS/JAMMA hybrids , JVS cabs have their own amps. so I just turn down the volume on the uzebox and turn up the volume on cab's amp. sounds great.
mapes

MYSTERY SOLVED

Post by mapes »

After much jimmy rigging, I think I may have figured it out!

I disconnected the power leads to the MVS harness of the NeoGeo and connected the 12 volt power supply from my soldered together Uzebox across ground and the 12 volt input.

Turned on the Neo Geo (to get the screen on) and plugged in the 12 volt adapter. Not only did the sound work great, but the flicker went away too.

I did not thoroughly check the SD card by loading and resetting several times, but I'm guessing it would similarly be fixed.

I'm wondering if I replace the input capacitors "C7" and "C8" with larger larger (higher capacitance) caps if this should remedy the situation completely. If so, any recommended values? I'm thinking I could go for overkill with 10uF for C7 and a 33uF for C8, any thoughts?

EDIT:

I've tried placing a large capacitor between the 12V source and ground to reduce the voltage ripple and have been rather unsuccessful. When I placed a 100uF cap, the buzzing and clicking decreased some in frequency, but was still present. I then put a 470uF capacitor between the 12V source and ground. The clicking started, slowed and stopped, but the machine was "dead" more or less. Voltage checks showed no voltage across 12V and ground. I tried another capacitor of near the same size and the same thing happened.

I'm not sure what would cause the voltage to drop off like that, the only thing I can think of is the high start up current draw on the capacitor is too much for the power supply (which says it can supply 5 amps on the 12 volt source)

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

-Mapes
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I made a cross-reference image for SNES controller and arcade controls(Open image URL directly, can't resize correctly on forum post):

Also here: http://basementhobbies.wordpress.com/20 ... ferencing/
mapes

Post by mapes »

Due to my compatability problems with my NeoGeo cabinet (See previous posts on this topic) :( , I've decided to sell my Uzebox Jamma (Serial #0004) to anyone for $75 dollars plus $5 shipping.

It would include all of the original documentation and receipts.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Update:

Some news for the Uzebox JAMMA. The schematic that is posted on one of the replies to this thread (This one to be precise: http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 1)contains an error in the coin counter circuit which I just noticed. This error is not related to the previous coin counter problem and does not affect any of the currently released Uzebox JAMMA boards or future Revision C boards. The problem and solution:

The old drawing should be replaced with the new drawing. The schematic can be downloaded here

Sorry for any problems or inconveniences :oops:

About the Revision C boards, they look great! Almost ready with this batch, will post updates...
Tornadoboy

Post by Tornadoboy »

What's the latest on this? I haven't heard anything for a while.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

The past several weeks for me have been EXTREMELY busy... I haven't had time to put together any of the boards, I haven't even started working on the manual for the kit yet :oops:

To get this batch out the door, I will only be selling pre-assembled at the moment until I have time to make a decent assembly guide. Stay tuned.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Here is a preview of the new board (The pictures may be too large for the message board, you can right-click and view in another window to see full image):

This board now has a the coin counter fix built into board (tested and works):

Check out that snazzy logo:

I added a mini kick-harness to this board, I noticed that most JAMMA connectors support only the first 2 buttons. This kick-harness adds buttons 3 and 4 for both players. Common ground included:

One more thing to note about sound, I noticed that keeping the coin counter components away from the volume adjustment (and not directly attaching every component as a last minute fix) reduced speaker noise significantly. I still have several more to build.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Looks great, and that logo is really awesome! ;) During the holidays, I had chance to play it for real on my brother's arcade cabinet...much more fun to beat the crap out of him on Megatris! :lol:

-Uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

uze6666 wrote:Looks great, and that logo is really awesome! ;) During the holidays, I had chance to play it for real on my brother's arcade cabinet...much more fun to beat the crap out of him on Megatris! :lol:

-Uze
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :D