Uzebox JAMMA

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
L4rry

Re: Uzebox JAMMA

Post by L4rry »

Jubatian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 am I fixed the soft DIP switch program to use the Cabinet DIPs according to the documentation. The updated Flight of a Dragon JAMMA version should use the credits / coins configuration correctly.

Binaries are included in the package.

License is uncertain, Mapes did not add any note on it. Maybe later it should be rewritten, the code has some weaknesses anyway.
Thank you! I will test this with my Iros JAMMA build. I will also test FoaD for you if you want.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I see.

I can still provide the feature online at least. There isn't a "JAMMA" string? So, it's just an Uzebox game that in code has rotated the video output? Am I understanding?

I could provide those rotate buttons but make them small so they won't get in the way. What about that?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

nicksen782 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm I see.

I can still provide the feature online at least. There isn't a "JAMMA" string? So, it's just an Uzebox game that in code has rotated the video output? Am I understanding?

I could provide those rotate buttons but make them small so they won't get in the way. What about that?
Yes, it's just a Uzebox game without anything special you could detect, so if you can provide a Rotate button somewhere, that would be the most appropriate solution to get them displaying right.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

So I got my custom fabricated JAMMA board, based off the hardware source found on BasementHobbies, and assembled it using my best guess at the correct components gleaned from the assembly guide...
assembled_board.jpg
assembled_board.jpg (723.92 KiB) Viewed 11354 times

Placed it in the back of my JAMMA cab along with my RGB -> VGA converter required for the LCD screen...
back_of_box.jpg
back_of_box.jpg (570.74 KiB) Viewed 11354 times

And this is the result...
shaky_screen.jpg
shaky_screen.jpg (441.87 KiB) Viewed 11354 times
So I end up with this really shaky and wavy screen and a lot of white noise coming through the speaker. That and no SD card detected (Not too worried about the SD card for now, this seems to be a constant problem with me assembling hardware...). Any ideas on what might cause the shaky screen or how I can go about debugging it?

PS. Sorry for all the photo's. It's a once off. Thought it prudent to share to help you guys help me :)
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Huh, nice cabinet!

Since you are using the new bootloader, I guess you set up the ATMega yourself. Are you sure you have the fuses all right? (most importantly those relating the oscillator). A working set of fuses are listed on the wiki (although some may be tweaked for a little more robustness on power-up).

If they are right, then I think you should check the power source. Does the ATMega get 5.5 volts stable? (If you have one, you may even look at it with an oscilloscope). Right now I don't have further ideas, it seems like it was an oscillator problem in some way, possibly related to the ATMega's capability to drive the faster crystal than it was designed for. Someone having more knowledge of the hardware might be of more help.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

This is the command I used to set the fuses. Found it on the forums somewhere. Not 100% sure what it actually set. Operated a bit blind on this one:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m644p -P usb -U lfuse:w:0xd7:m -U hfuse:w:0xd2:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m
I'll have a look at that wiki. thank you.

EDIT: Looks like I set the fuses correctly based on that wiki.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Jubatian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:41 pm it seems like it was an oscillator problem in some way, possibly related to the ATMega's capability to drive the faster crystal than it was designed for. Someone having more knowledge of the hardware might be of more help.
So I swapped out the ATMEGA 644P with the ATMEGA 644 from my standard Adafruit purchased Uzebox and it solved the shaky screen and sound problem :) Not sure what the differences between the two chips are. I flashed IROS Jamma directly (still can't read SD card) and it renders fine. However, another problem has appeared. Some of the the inputs (P1 Start and P1 UP/DOWN for instance) are constantly receiving signal from somewhere without buttons actually being pressed. Everything else operates normally it seems, including coin mech.

irosjamma.jpg
irosjamma.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

L4rry wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:25 amSo I swapped out the ATMEGA 644P with the ATMEGA 644 from my standard Adafruit purchased Uzebox and it solved the shaky screen and sound problem :)
Then I guess that 644P couldn't drive the crystal properly. My EUzebox with 644P is also slightly wobbly, not much, but noticable, guess the 'P' variant is weaker then in this regard. Maybe it could also be worthwhile to test some 28.63636MHz crystals from other sources, or possibly even other alternatives as clock sources (LTC1799 maybe?, or prossibly some external PLL solution?).
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

How would I go about verifying my control input circuitry? I have a few 'buttons' that keep getting 'signal' so it acts as though it's pressed rapidly in succession or held down all the time. So seems I messed up some circuitry. I guess I can just reflow all the connections and hope for the best, but would be nice if I can verify things with a multi-meter. Anybody with some insight would be appreciated.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

If you see that some buttons are permanently active, maybe you could check the voltage at the JAMMA socket to determine whether it is something in the cabinet or something might be wrong with the Uzebox JAMMA. On the JAMMA board there are four 4021N shift register ICs, check their pinout, and try to measure the voltage on the input pins. The problem should be somewhere around there, if your controllers mostly work, then likely these shift register ICs communicate all right with the ATMega, just they are not getting the proper input levels.