controller connectors...

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
havok1919

controller connectors...

Post by havok1919 »

Connectors will be the death of me.

Probably looking in the ~$5K range for an injection tool (steel) done in Taiwan. Individual parts would be cheap to shoot, but even selling 1000 parts over a year or two would still make for ~$5/ea just to break even. Granted, it is a "two port" connector (two SNES connectors in one assembly).

A second option might be to just get a good SLA model (or even milled aluminum) and do cast urethane parts. Those are probably a higher per-piece price, but likely lower NRE. Taking that a step further, something like rotational casting could crank them out in higher numbers. Hmmm.

I ordered a SNES Multitap that I know can be purchased in volume from an importer still. It might be easier/cheaper to just use those units as parts donors (assuming that the way the connector mounts is at least mildly compatible with what we need). Hot air or a selectiv solder system (or maybe even just a solder pot!) might make short-work of pulling the connectors...

Updates when I know more...

-Clay

P.S. Any further leads on NES connectors from Parallax?
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: controller connectors...

Post by uze6666 »

Eh, don't die for those connectors man :lol: ... Custom molding/injection/milling seems a lot of trouble and cost for relatively little return. I don't know for others but maybe we should just ditch them and go for the PSX connectors instead? Playing with them a bit lately, I start liking them... ;) They are probably as iconic (though less retro) as the SNES pads and, so far, nobody complained against them. Perhaps with the Multitap your could make a batch of boards for those who absolutely wants SNES, leaving the main SKU with the PSX controllers?...

Cheers,

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Eh, don't die for those connectors man :lol: ... Custom molding/injection/milling seems a lot of trouble and cost for relatively little return. I don't know for others but maybe we should just ditch them and go for the PSX connectors instead? Playing with them a bit lately, I start liking them... ;) They are probably as iconic (though less retro) as the SNES pads and, so far, nobody complained against them. Perhaps with the Multitap your could make a batch of boards for those who absolutely wants SNES, leaving the main SKU with the PSX controllers?...
So I think the plan at the moment will be to model up the part in Solidworks and get some tooling quotes. If I can find someplace that can do spincast or vacuum cast urethane parts for reasonable money that might be OK too-- just have a 'master' part made from an SLA or milled aluminum model and use it as a master for the molds.

My main hope at this point is that the SNES multitap has parts suitable for removal/reuse. Those are cheap enough to buy in bulk and just pull the necessary parts. I have a selective soldering system that puts up a fountain of solder in various shapes, so it tends to make short work of through-hole connectors as long as they don't have locking tabs or something. (Put the part of the board with the connector into the solder 'mini wave', them lift the part out. Just a few seconds per part once you've got the rhythm.)

On the PSX side, the one thing I want to look in to is getting some new pins made. The pins that come with the PSX connectors are really for crimping on to wire-- so what I was doing (by hand) was crimping them closed and inserting them into the shell empty-- then soldering them in place as if they were surface mount pins. Not sure if that's practical in small quantities or not, but I'll look into it. At a minimum I'd need to get some kind of good, automatic crimping tool otherwise!

-Clay
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

I am able to get new NES connectors for about $1 each but I sense nobody want's them. That is not the guaranteed price, I shoule have the real price in the next 2 days. You don't need a minimum order. :D

I am still looking for the SNES connectors. Give me a week and I should have an answer on them.

I am not into the idea of PSX it is simply not the retro style that I saw when I found the Uzebox.

Compman
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

CompMan wrote:I am able to get new NES connectors for about $1 each but I sense nobody want's them. That is not the guaranteed price, I shoule have the real price in the next 2 days. You don't need a minimum order. :D I am still looking for the SNES connectors. Give me a week and I should have an answer on them.
I'd take a couple hundred of the NES connectors at that price! Some people will want them I'm sure. If you can find SNES connectors that'd be great. I've got a whole folder full of 'no' from my attempts at digging 'em up in China and Taiwan! :(
I am not into the idea of PSX it is simply not the retro style that I saw when I found the Uzebox.
I still like 'em if only for two reasons: "analog" (paddle replacement) and wireless (Logitech 2.4GHz one is like ~$15 at Radio Shack).

I think the SNES is optimal for price though. I can bundle a controller with the baseboards for just a few bucks and people that don't want to mess with a soldering iron can just plug and play.

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah, you got a point here! I pushed a lot for the SNES over anything else and I'd prefer them too. So I'm keeping my finger crossed you guys will find some.

Uze