SD Card, programs and life of the flash

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
lightfoot256

SD Card, programs and life of the flash

Post by lightfoot256 »

I was thinking about storing data on SD card when I realised that with only 4k of ram you're data needs to live in the flash area to be of any use and considering the data needs to be "flashed" to get there, each time you copy any data surely you're using up a single cycle of the (10,000 cycle life? - or was it 100,000?).

I hate limits, and surely a system that deteriorates with each game load is eventually going to fail?

Although even at 10,000 cycles, if I load 10 games a day every day I get 2.7 years out of it which isn't too bad I guess. Even if you did 20 loads per day that's still over a year and within "1 year warranty" :-p.

64k ram would be nice :-D.
steve.chamberlin

Re: SD Card, programs and life of the flash

Post by steve.chamberlin »

I thought the rated cycles for Flash memory was for the number of writes, not reads. Reads should be free. No?
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

Just replace the flash.

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

yeah, well, most game consoles have lasers/contacts with about 100K cycle lives ;)