Fuzebox 2 Speculation

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Jhysaun

Re: Fuzebox 2 Speculation

Post by Jhysaun »

Oye
Oye ;) Great Word :D
custom lasercut acrylic (yes it will be clear!)
w00t²
does that make sense?

Yep. The case will be a channel for the SNES connector. So there will be no "real" socket for controller.

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Oye ;) Great Word :D
Hehe, not a typo, a classic word used by 18th century french public speakers to gain public attention...
Yep. The case will be a channel for the SNES connector. So there will be no "real" socket for controller.
Oh. If the casing is the socket, then don't forget to expose an ISP programming header *on the back* so that folks don't have to open the case each time they want to program their chip!

-uze
TonyD

Post by TonyD »

uze6666 wrote:..... I think I saw a lot of cheap Chinese console knock-offs lately using what seems like DB9 ports for their joypads. Perhaps that's just what we need. Btw, isn't what Andre Lamothe used for it's XGS-AVR?
The XGS-AVR is using a 9W D and looking the fuzzy online schematic it has the following pinout:

Code: Select all

Pin XGS-AVR

1   N/C
2   DATA
3   LOAD
4   CLOCK
5   N/C       
6   +5V
7   N/C    
8   GND     
9   N/C
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

Oh. If the casing is the socket, then don't forget to expose an ISP programming header *on the back* so that folks don't have to open the case each time they want to program their chip!
[/quote][/quote]

man you think i didnt think of that? :? there will be cutouts on the top if you want NES plus (straight down) side cutouts for programming (6 & 10 pin) !

i have a clock kit with a case, like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladyada/3195339434/

same idea, you use 4-40 screws and 'pinch' the parts together. the bad thing about custom cases is they take a while to make (on the laser cutter) and are heavy. the good thing about them is that all cutouts are 'free' and you can raster on text/diagrams/images
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

TonyD wrote:
uze6666 wrote:..... I think I saw a lot of cheap Chinese console knock-offs lately using what seems like DB9 ports for their joypads. Perhaps that's just what we need. Btw, isn't what Andre Lamothe used for it's XGS-AVR?
The XGS-AVR is using a 9W D and looking the fuzzy online schematic it has the following pinout:

Code: Select all

Pin XGS-AVR

1   N/C
2   DATA
3   LOAD
4   CLOCK
5   N/C       
6   +5V
7   N/C    
8   GND     
9   N/C
thing is i got the SNES pads so cheap (like $2.50) that its not worth it for me to go to china to get custom pads
also. i like these old-skool gamepads :)

-however-
i do like what was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=247
adding i2c gamepad support to the kernel would be -trivial- and could be a good option for people who want a 'nice' controller
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

If any of you have seen this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Twin_Video_Game_System

This unit is still being sold with SNES sockets, though I haven't seen any place that sells SNES sockets separately.
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

DaveyPocket wrote:If any of you have seen this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Twin_Video_Game_System

This unit is still being sold with SNES sockets, though I haven't seen any place that sells SNES sockets separately.
oh im sure if i lived in shenzhen i could probably find some. but unless you're buying 10,000 its a bit of a pain to get anyone to talk to you
steve.chamberlin

Post by steve.chamberlin »

When I measured them a while ago, it didn't look like the gap between the groups of 3 and 4 pins on the SNES connector was an even multiple of the inter-pin spacing. So I'm not sure that would work.
TonyD

Post by TonyD »

ladyada wrote: ... i like these old-skool gamepads :)
That must make me old-oldskool coz I prefer the Atari joystick style :D
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

steve.chamberlin wrote:When I measured them a while ago, it didn't look like the gap between the groups of 3 and 4 pins on the SNES connector was an even multiple of the inter-pin spacing. So I'm not sure that would work.
its also not .156" pitch
i'd have two halves, 3 and 4 pin each. they'd be slightly offset but i think the plastic will give the 3mils