Testing controllers, demo code, and documentation

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
steve.chamberlin

Re: Testing controllers, demo code, and documentation

Post by steve.chamberlin »

Well it sounds like your gamepad is just toast, then, as you suspected. Frustrating, but like you pointed out, at least you learned something along the way! I think 9 out of 10 days are like that for me with my projects, banging my head against the wall, wondering why the #$&*@ the thing doesn't work. But then finally it *does* work, and it's all worth it.

Presumably you've already ordered a new SNES gamepad. In the meantime, if you're bound and determined to get something working, you could mock up one of your own using the 4021 from the gamepad, or another compatible shift register, if you've got one handy in a parts box. Just connect the parallel load inputs to some momentary push switches, with a pull-up resistor and the other end connected to ground.

And speaking of learning, the textbook I've lugged around is Computation Structures by Ward and Halstead. Mine is only 19 years old instead of 22, but it's the same idea. I could never bring myself to throw it out, because I hoped that someday I'd get back into digital electronics again. And last year I did, and was really glad to have the book. I actually re-read almost all of it, and I'm sure I paid far more attention this time than when I actually used the book in class in 1990. :)
steve.chamberlin

Post by steve.chamberlin »

Were you ever able to get your gamepad working?
ladyada

Post by ladyada »

if you bought a bad controller from adafruit and it didnt work you should contact support@adafruit.com! we'll replace it but only if you tell us about it, eh? :)
arclight

Post by arclight »

ladyada wrote:if you bought a bad controller from adafruit and it didnt work you should contact support@adafruit.com! we'll replace it but only if you tell us about it, eh? :)
I didn't want to bother you over a $6 controller and I was worried that it might be a common problem with these controllers - I didn't want you burning $15 in shipping over a $6 part.

Anyway, it's a month later and I took delivery on a Retro Duo (NES & SNES clone) - $40 for the console & two controllers. I plugged everything in and - wonder of wonders - the damned thing works as advertised. You cannot imagine how happy I am that this project has not started on fire or been kicked to death. Now I have to take a look at my dev environment, how to load games, etc. and get to work on something appropriately goofy.

And since (I believe) I understand how the controller works, I can begin the long-term plan of creating Accordion Hero! The trick, I think, is embedding the Uzebox itself into the accordion controller and then finding some popular public-domain polkas and tejano tunes. Once it's out of beta, I'll give Weird Al & John Linnell a call and we can talk licensing. ("Mammal...") :ugeek:

PS: The Fuzebox assembly and testing instructions were fantastic, especially the testing checkpoints (is power conditioning working? is audio working? is video? etc.) That I had several points to check my work and some clue as to which subsystem I had just assembled were extremely helpful. I eventually want to do my own design work and the one thing nobody seems to mention is testing technique. I don't know if it can be taught or you just have to make it up as you go along, but the kit was really helpful in illustrating how and when to check your work.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Anyway, it's a month later and I took delivery on a Retro Duo (NES & SNES clone) - $40 for the console & two controllers. I plugged everything in and - wonder of wonders - the damned thing works as advertised. You cannot imagine how happy I am that this project has not started on fire or been kicked to death.
Glad to hear that! :D
...I can begin the long-term plan of creating Accordion Hero!
Hehehe funny, hope it will be as crazy as this: :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBQknWUEYU[/youtube]

-Uze
tim1724

Post by tim1724 »

arclight wrote: Once it's out of beta, I'll give Weird Al & John Linnell a call and we can talk licensing. ("Mammal...") :ugeek:
ooh... finally, a music game that I'd actually like to play! <goes off to listen to some TMBG>