still cannot read from SD Card

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
blicken

Re: still cannot read from SD Card

Post by blicken »

Ok, I checked everything, and it tested fine,
I found an old 1.8GB SD card in my car today, and decided to try it. So I formated it fat16, and downloaded the game 2048.uze.
The Uzebox promptly worked, and I was able to read the SD card.

I wrote to Adafruit support, informing them that the SD card was indeed the issue, they reffered me back to this site, saying i should ask for a replacement SD card. I'm not really concerned with all that, I just wanted to write games and visualizations for this, and now I can do that.

Problem solved, it was the SD card.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Very interesting, kind of a bummer you had to go through all that though.

Is anyone interested and have the skills to check this out? I might buy one of these cards myself just to try some change to the bootloader, and testing for read performance. If it breaks SD games anyway(speed I would guess), even a bootloader fix is not real nice.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Probably you (we) could also check how strict CUzeBox is about the SD emulation. I mean setting everything in cu_spisd.c according with the SD specs, fixing the game to work with it (if possible), then checking the game with a few cards. If this solves the issues, then problem solved (I think we have all SD interfacing games' sources). I think only Tempest is not necessarily possible to be fixed (needing a fast card), but it doesn't fit on a 256Mb one anyway (and by the way an older version of Tempest was more SD specs conforming than the current one). A more tolerant bootloader would be quite beneficial as most games don't interface with the card (so all those would work fine).