AVCore LED Issue

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
kivan117

AVCore LED Issue

Post by kivan117 »

I finally got my isp programmer in the mail and decided to reflash the AVCore Uzebox from its native ESD Attack to the bootloader. Went well, but now the green power led isn't turning on. Everything else works fine mind you, just not the led. It worked before with ESD Attack and would turn on when power was applied, off when you hold in reset, then back on. The LED also cycled on and off with the power button (which I believe is just a feature of the ESD Attack game itself since the power button is just a custom input button to my knowledge). When I first tried to program the ATmega644 I had the board powered by the ISP programmer, which I figured was safe since it applies 5v and the dc input jack is 5v too but now I'm wondering if maybe I killed the led somehow. I tried plugging the board in to wall power and turning off the "power target" option on the programmer the second time and the led is still non responsive. Any ideas what's wrong?
D3thAdd3r

Re: AVCore LED Issue

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Check which pin goes to that LED. I think I remember correctly AVCore uses non-standard for LED.

Edit-my bad the power button is non standard. I guess a multimeter will tell you if its a hardware or software issue. Old version of bootloader?
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

Looks like there's the expected 5 volts being applied to the led during operation. I think the LED is just kaput. Checking in one direction yields 2k ohm resistance (as expected) and the other reads a bit over 1k. It also just BARELY lights up in that direction. Not really sure what I did to it but it didn't like it.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

kivan117 wrote:When I first tried to program the ATmega644 I had the board powered by the ISP programmer, which I figured was safe since it applies 5v and the dc input jack is 5v too but now I'm wondering if maybe I killed the led somehow.
I don't understand what you mean by the DC input jack being 5v, do you mean the power regulator output? The AC adapter itself should probably be in the 9-12v range(never saw a schematic for Fuzebox but it must have a regulator?!), since you always need more voltage going in than out on a voltage regulator. Not sure that sheds any kind of light on this, but I tried :)
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/9024

Note: You must use a regulated 5VDC input for power.

According to the web page you needed to have 5VDC pre-regulated. Anything more than that and poof!

So, did a bad/wrong power adapter do this or did your ISP? I bought a programmer from Sparkfun and my SD card died right afterwards. I no longer use that programmer. I used this one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825 . I no longer trust it. I'll stick with my slow usbasp.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes, AVCore REQUIRES 5V only! I blew one pluging in a 9V PSU. A shame since they are so rare. Perhaps one day, they'll command the same price as an Apple I.

As for the LED, I don't know what happened. According to the only schematic I have the led is plugged directly to the power source, not PD4. So in that case it died somehow. If you feel adventurous you could try replacing it... ;)
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

The power source is supposed to be regulated. Never took the multimeter to it in order to test that claim to be honest, might have to tomorrow. Either way it looks like my first smd solder job is going to be a green led ;)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The only thing I have managed to learn about electronics is that smoke makes them work. Whenever the smoke gets out, they stop working I find.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

:lol: