The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Post by uze6666 »

We discussed it for a long time, I'm starting a thread on the making of the Uzebox portable. As things progress I'l post pics and other stuff, feel free to comment in order to improve it.

Tonight I had some time to work on an initial design to see how parts will fit. It's pretty much the controller design I made a while ago. Not much, but it's a start. :)
portable1.jpg
portable1.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 24743 times
shockdesign

Re: The quest to a portable Uzebox

Post by shockdesign »

Perfect, I'm looking forward to this. Also can help with anything you need, discussions, etc.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice! SNES controller buttons seems a good idea, maybe some kind of bezel around the screen would look good(seems like every portable did it).
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

want... very want. I just wanted to get my 'me too' in there.

Will this have the same hardware other than surface mount for some components?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Here's a crude MSPaint concept to get a basic idea of what the most obvious bezel/logo combo would be. That logo could be done a lot better of course...Side by side I do think there is a lot to be admired for the ultra clean look as it currently stands, but I do think it needs a little of something extra. Maybe just a Uzebox logo breaks it up enough?
bezel2.jpg
bezel2.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 24692 times
I very much prefer the overall shape versus a GBA actually.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Agreed, a bezel looks good! :) What I posted yesterday was very early, no text no nothing. Thing is, the design is seriously impacted by how I can 3D print the thing. My goal is to have something nic eon my printer, but have the final enclosure printed at Shapeways. But even there, I don't know how how gonna do the silkscreen text. The surface is slighly rough and no sticker will stick to it. Also, the screen is not centered vertically because the LCD module screen has 1/4" high metal part at the bottom. For that, I intented to put the logo at the bottom.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I don't know how this thing will be printed either the face(the part the user sees) on the build platform or the other way; or if it makes a difference in wasted material and having to cut all the supports out.

No clue how you would do a bezel like that, maybe some kind of overlay layer like the console case instead, maybe it's just not to be. For the Uzebox logo, what if it was the cool tilted Z type logo built recessed into the actual face. It would keep a lot of that clean motif, and I think that wouldn't be much harder to print than the flat version? Perhaps those fine details are hard to do though.
logo0.jpg
logo0.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 24660 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Update! I've been doing more modeling this week and I'm able to fit all parts through hole without any problems. ISP ram and esp8266 are included as well as two shift registers for P1 controller and some other parts for the audio amp.

Here's some more eye candy. I added the bezel suggested by Lee, just missing the Uzebox logo that I have to 3d model. Front view with headphone jack and volume control:
frontview.jpg
frontview.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 24622 times
Back view with (from left to right): A/V multi-out, SD, micro USB power, ISP port. The multi-out port is the only idea I had to break out composite, audio, s-video and SNES P2. This will be a mini din 9 plug. It should be easy to make a cable with all the plugs. Shoulder will be most probably work with 90 degrees tactile switches.
backview.jpg
backview.jpg (127.02 KiB) Viewed 24617 times
Right now, I'm printing a full size mockup of the above. More pics when done.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Holy hell, it's beautiful!!

Great bezel design and that recessed D-pad and button lettering is a smart addition to fill it all out. Oh yeah, those shoulder buttons are #1! 8-)

BTW how does the button labels x,y,start,select work; stickers or printed inserts?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

BTW how does the button labels x,y,start,select work; stickers or printed inserts?
So far, no ideas! I just wanted it to look cool. In the end, it probably going to be indented text. I'll do some tests, perhaps filling them with some black paint could be an option.

Here's pics of to give an idea of the size (compared to a DS). It a bit thicker than I expected but I still have room inside so I'll try shaving off a couple millimeters. Also after a bit of holding, I find that the d-pad and buttons could be moved a bit more to the top to have a comfortable grip with the shoulder buttons.
mockup2.jpg
mockup2.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 24602 times
mockup1.jpg
mockup1.jpg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 24599 times