Scrambled Video (solved)

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Squishymonster

Scrambled Video (solved)

Post by Squishymonster »

(Spoilers, it was the DC adapter)

So I recently moved and I finally have enough space to unfold my collection of messy dust collecting electronics junks! So out comes the Uzebox and the 13 inch CRT TV. I couldn't remember which DC adapter went with the Uzebox, but since I had been working with Arduino a lot lately I assumed 5v. I grabbed a 5 volt DC adapter and hooked everything up.

The "hello world" program was still flashed from my last experiments, and displaying properly. Next I set up my development environment and start trying to flash some of the other HEX files. I had all kinds of trouble because I had bricked some of my atmega644s previously. I finally got my flash process worked out with the correct fuse settings, but all of the demos had seriously scrambled graphics. Bad colors, desyncing, scrambled tile values.

Finally I started thinking about the DC adapter again. I looked at the Uzebox board and saw the 12V printed right on it. I swapped out the adapter and suddenly everything was right with the world.

:P

Now I just need to get the stupid ISP MKii drivers to work on Windows 8.1 so I can dev from my newer laptop.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Scrambled Video (solved)

Post by uze6666 »

Yep, since there's an on-board 5v regulator with some voltage dropout, you need something above 7 volts to be safe. Though I suspect the mega644 will be working fine, the AD725 needs that 5v.

Welcome aboard! :)
Now I just need to get the stupid ISP MKii drivers to work on Windows 8.1 so I can dev from my newer laptop.
I got a Surface pro 3 which Id like to use for dev at some point. If you find out how, let us know.