Uzenet

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Uzenet

Post by D3thAdd3r »

uze6666 wrote:Can't recall if it was posted elsewhere in the board but here's a nice video demonstrating the range of the esp-8266. Pretty impressive.

Ah I have seen that one and it's pretty crazy, for instance, I don't think anyone's cutting edge cell phone will do that wifi range(which was my method of non-numerical "testing"). I guess there will be no need for a GPRS module on the Uzebox Portable!

An bit of self psychology too; this video has to be where I recently picked up the word "janky" into my verbal repertoire :lol:

Edit - not that it's practical for Uzenet, but someday I do intend to make an Uzebox talk to one of these.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Alec I know you have a ton of Uzebox work, did you make any progress on the Uzenet setup utility? I have a game that I can't release until people can actually setup and use their expansion module(since it's the only technically impressive part of it and emulation is not done), but I don't want to start something if you already have something partially working that could fit the bill for now.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

No, I don't have anything significant yet. :(
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ok, just wanted to make sure we don't waste duplicated efforts. I'll get the bare essentials up in the new high res mode.
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I have a game that I can't release until people can actually setup and use their expansion module(since it's the only technically impressive part of it and emulation is not done)
Has the API been expanded to include any Uzenet stuff or are we still doing this the hard way via UART? Additionally, has the server side portion of the Uzenet Score system been completed and does its API match what the wiki has to say about it? In some spare time I managed to throw together a quick game with the intention of local (eeprom) and online (uzenet) high scores but don't really know where we're at on that front. Wanted to make something small but fun and another reason for people to try out Uzenet is always nice.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I just deleted about 6 paragraphs of brain dump I will share later. I just want to mention I found out why TCP performance was so bad for small packets, it's an artificial wait period on TCP ACK(like I suspected). Espressif says their new firmware fixed this, I haven't tried, we need a custom firmware anyways for performance. We can do >60 packets a second with TCP, UDP more, it's the stupid Nagle-like algorithm causing the problem. I saw 8266 is capable of at least 2mbps(though we could never feed it that fast on Uzebox). I suggest we use AT for now, our work here is not wasted as, the custom firmware can start out in AT mode and run this stuff. For games that require higher performance send a "AT+BINARY\r\n" to switch to the new mode when it exists. I'm not just blowing smoke it will work, there really is so much work to be done on each of these parts and that's why it might seem like nothing is working yet. In reality about 1/2 of many things is at least working in proof of concept mode, which I think was required to spark interest as opposed to 1 finished thing with nothing connected to it. Each item will take time to polish but we can work in parallel. I'm started but pausing on the setup utility, finding AP's etc. I can start the conversation with the 8266 firmware upgrade process(8266 does auto-baud detect, any speed possible), it's waiting for firmware data in pages(~508kB total), not trivial.
kivan117 wrote:Has the API been expanded to include any Uzenet stuff or are we still doing this the hard way via UART?
I spent a lot of time trying to make a robust solution for high performance games using UART, the performance sucks because UART is too wasteful, the stock firmware has artificial TCP ACK delays, it's too cpu intensive to parse, and requires larger than minimum buffers. Maybe someone can get it, but not me, it burned me out and demotivated me so I just made a game instead... Considering binary performance it seems easier and better to make a custom firmware for that. For now I suggest we use AT and get simple stuff working like we are both working on, custom firmware will be backwards compatible with the non-latency critical AT code we write today.
kivan117 wrote:Additionally, has the server side portion of the Uzenet Score system been completed and does its API match what the wiki has to say about it?
Sort of, and no. I have a state machine that uses the vsync callback so the main game can continue on without worrying what Uzenet is doing. Essentially save your scores to EEPROM as usual, the state machine rapidly and continually reads and attempt to send your scores to the score server(which will sort out if they belong on the list) in the background. I would like to see your system at some point as well once we get things working. There should be a generic solution for this particular problem so the more ideas the better, and I will send you the source code immediately when I get it working right. The protocol has changed because it wasn't that easy for Uzebox to use I found. I want to support meager requirements like 4800 baud with 8 byte buffers for the scoring system(so we could drop it into say pacman with no redesign for resource considerations). The new protocol(and chatroom+everything else will change to this also) will always be based on 1 string commands with no challenge sub-states like this:

Code: Select all

[magic_number(8bit),reserverd(8bit),operation(8bit),game name(8 chars),variable number and length of arguments.....]
To get high scores off the server for my game I am sending this packet immediately after connecting(all 8bit bytes):

[0xC7,0,1,'S','O','L','I','T','A','I','R',4,3,7,2]
The magic number (0xC7 which is an 8266 firmware thing)is the only challenge now, to indicate what's connecting is something that is aware of the protocol. The second number is reserved for flow control if necessary later. The third number is the operation(1 = read). Then you send the official 8 character rom name(like we store it on the SD card). The following number 4 indicates I want to be sent entries starting with entry 4. The following 3 means I want to receive 3 entries total(so skip 0,1,2,3, receive 4,5,6). The 7 indicates I only want the first 7 characters of the names(since the server allows up to 32). The 2 indicates I only want the two least significant bytes of the score(since the server allows 64bit scores). The reason for this is to let the Uzebox describe the capabilities to the server to avoid overflow, while at the same time describing the game save format which the server does not care about. It is not practical for most games to have a large buffer around just for the purpose of retrieving scores(though we have SPI ram if we have Uzenet). As far as format, you can see you can make any format you want. You have 32 bytes for a name that you could use for other things if you coded your game right. The only consideration is if you have some strange scoring system, it would have to be converted back and forth so that a higher value is always better so the server can sort things without knowledge of the format. I intend to add in the "save game" thing using the exact same format except using a different command later. There you can read/write blocks of any size specifying just a offset+length, that is trivial and the reason for the reserved "flow control".

To send a high score with the name "CARDBOT" and a score of 0x02F4(756 dec)I send this string:

[0xC7,0,2,'S','O','L','I','T','A','I','R','E',7,2,0x02,0xF4,'C','A','R','D','B','O','T']
Again the magic number 0xC7(199), 1 reserved byte, 1 byte for the command(2 = write),8 chars of the official rom name. The 7 indicates I will send 7 name bytes(store them in the first 7 of the 32 available for name). The 2 indicates I will be sending a 2 byte score(store them in the first 2 bytes of the 8 available). Then follows 2 bytes of score, and 7 bytes of name which we specified. The server replies with 1 byte indicating what position this made it into, which if 255 indicates it did not make it on the list.

You can close the connection whenever you want on Uzebox side, otherwise you can continue to send commands and receive responses indefinitely. It might be a good idea to send a heart beat command packet(which does nothing but generate a 2 byte server response indicating a rolling 16bit 1/1000 second timer on the server; used to calculate round trip latency if you wanted) every couple minutes if lingering but not sending data. This keeps the TCP connection alive which may or may not be required depending on what crazy network tunneling stuff someone might use someday.

//commands
#define UZENET_HEART_BEAT 	0
#define UZENET_DISCONNECT         1
#define UZENET_READ_SCORE	        2
#define UZENET_WRITE_SCORE	3

//...
Forgive any errors I'm just brain dumping here from amongst 1000 thoughts and this is my only day to mess around with it this week, more to come. Please throw ideas out.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

That's a lot of work and thinking you've done there Lee. If I didn't have all those other things I committed to, I'd help for a custom firmware. Speaking of which, I'm thinking that we should probably allocate another I/O pin for the programming enable of the 8266. Specially if the future kits should include it and be soldered right on the board. How can a user upgrade the firmware otherwise?
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:UART is too wasteful, the stock firmware has artificial TCP ACK delays, it's too cpu intensive to parse, and requires larger than minimum buffers. Maybe someone can get it, but not me, it burned me out and demotivated me so I just made a game instead...
Funny, I did the exact same thing. My time is super limited right now so instead of working on the chat program and getting frustrated trying to parse messages and deal with random performance inconsistencies, I decided to just make a simple game that could use the high score system instead. ;)
D3thAdd3r wrote:I have a state machine that uses the vsync callback so the main game can continue on without worrying what Uzenet is doing. Essentially save your scores to EEPROM as usual, the state machine rapidly and continually reads and attempt to send your scores to the score server(which will sort out if they belong on the list) in the background. I would like to see your system at some point as well once we get things working. There should be a generic solution for this particular problem so the more ideas the better, and I will send you the source code immediately when I get it working right. The protocol has changed because it wasn't that easy for Uzebox to use I found.
The driving force behind even wanting to keep playing the game I made is to get a higher and higher score. That's it. To that end it would be trivial to simply edit the eeprom data and save whatever local high score you want. That would be silly for local high scores because it would ruin the fun of the game. Why keep playing if you are just going to edit the score. It makes the goal of getting a new high score impossibly hard and takes the fun out of it. For a state machine that simply polls and sends the local scores, it could create a problem for my game though as it gives incentive to just edit the high score so it will be posted online. Now the online scores have no meaning. I don't like to assume negative intent, especially with such a limited community, but for my game I've decided to have 2 independent sets of high scores, local and online to remove this problem. Basically at the end of a round, if you want, you can try to post your current score online and view the leader board. Local high scores are automatically saved at the end of each round if they're high enough to be in the top 5.

The local part is implemented but obviously the online is just theorized as to how it should work.

As soon as you get the new server system implemented and finalized I'd be glad to see the code so I can finish up the online posting of scores.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I also am doing a separate local scores and world scores screen with enough pause in between to ensure the world scores are up to date. You raise a valid point on hacking ease or even accidental bad code corruption. I cannot think of any simple way to avoid the problems besides counting on the community and obscurity(and we could always roll back scores manually since the list could have maybe 256 entries and limit new entries to 100 a day). If you see a way that doesn't take much resources I'm all for it. The only way I know to do it, is if you send input to a server who is the authority and runs all the game logic and score updating. Then again anything I make will be open source so that pretty much defeats that. Anyway I will try to get that up as soon as possible, it will be a good selling point for Uzenet to get a couple games using it :ugeek:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

BTW Kivan117, from your point of view is that format rational and easy to use in your program? Honestly a lot of the work I've done has been making code to try things and then learning why it should be done a different way for the system. I hope that process is mostly settled now, but nothing is set in stone by any means.