Framemeister: A video upscaler for retro consoles

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
hpglow

Re: Framemeister: Outputting crisp video to LCD TVs

Post by hpglow »

uze6666 wrote:Nice tool! I will try it out with the real hardware and report in it.

Made me think about another way to test the lag. Use some sort of light sensor (photoresistor, photdiode, etc) connected to the EXT port and that you put on the tv screen. Combined with your flashing screen method, that should yield a simple, cheap and precise way to measure lag.
There is a device with a photo sensor and a button that does that very thing. You just make a program to change a section the screen from black to white. Point the sensor at that spot at close range. Start a timer when the button is pressed and stop the timer when the sensor detects a change in light. I wish I could remember the name of the commercial product because I remember thinking that it could be done with an arduino for half price. Most LCDs test between 11 an 35 ns from what I have seen. I'm sure you could also attach a SNES controller and test the total lag.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Framemeister: A video upscaler for retro consoles

Post by uze6666 »

I have received my RGB cables for the Framemeister. These are SNES and Genesis cable made to plug into the "JP-21" connector that comes with the upscaler. Those cable feeds the red, green, blue and CSYNC signals separately to the Framemeister.

Here's some comparison pictures from my Sharp LCD TV. Left if using the composite input, right is using the RGB input on the Framemeister. Click for bigger and clearer pictures.
Image Image

Here's a zoom where you can clearly see the difference between composite and RGB:

The RGB is really amazing and the quality on the TV is way better than my pictures (there's no moiré patterns for instance). You can clearly see all and every pixels sharp and clean. Great stuff, I'm happy! :mrgreen:

Next I'll post some examples with the Uzebox using S-VIDEO until I can build myself a RGB cable (and test latency with Lee's tool).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Drooling over that crispness, it looks like it's worth every penny.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Drooling over that crispness, it looks like it's worth every penny.
I'd like to compare with other upscalers like F0lken's. But for me it's totally worth it. So many inputs: RGB, 2xHDMI, composite, S-VIDEO and every tuning unimaginable. Did I mention the Framemeister also comes with a remote control with all functions you need!?! It's in Japanese mind you, but you can buy an English overlay on eBay.