Uzebox DTV

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
CunningFellow

Re: Uzebox DTV

Post by CunningFellow »

Probably two things.

1st - Some care taken in the analog layout,

2nd - The AD723 is DC coupled so does not have to pass through the 220uF caps the AD725 signal does.

Do you have Clays "AV Core" to compare it too. That would let you know if it is the AD723 or the PCB layout :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Unfortunately no. BTW if anyone is selling an AC Core or Fuzebox PM me(more than new price, for their rarity) 8-)

That I can tell there is really no reason to use the 725 then, except maybe price. I bought some AD725s(Alec and I think they could be fake)for around $1.40USD each shipped free quantity 10, no functional difference from the definitely real 725s. I have a lot of different PCB revisions around so I might get a few 723s just to see if there is a difference there.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The 723 is not a drop in replacement for the 725. The 723 has more pins and is in a thinner package.

The output stage are current sources to DC couple straight to the 75 Ohm load of a TV. It is only the RGB signals that get AC coupled - and they get though unscathed with just 0u1 caps.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I took my system (black version 1.3.1 board with AD725) to a friend, his TV didn't quite like S-Video, but composite had surprisingly nice quality! Confirmed: My TV is a piece of crap. Majestic... (that's the brand, I sincerely hope they felt the irony when they hurled these miserable excuses for technology out of the factory onto the unsuspecting world). He playtested my UCC entry a bit, then for a multiplayer game Frog Feast (I forgot to add Tank Fu), finally I showed him Alter Ego as an example of nice graphics & good game (I had not got Tempest, he wouldn't quite like the genre anyway). Wish if there was some good RPG game to demonstrate (he would have liked that genre).

Anyway, just mentioned, display quality is simply better than what I experienced (and by what I judged) before.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

All going well most the units should be shipping today.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Ouch! Good news, but you didn't respond to my PM I sent you at 20th December! I mentioned that I have no reliable address, so with the address I have on KickStarter I might never receive the DTV units. Is it possible to put my package aside for now so we can arrange it with the Uzebox Portable later?
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I got my Uzebox DTV yesterday. I must say "Wow!" The work is impressive. The controller feels good and it really could not be much easier to load an Uzebox game.

I accidentally dropped my micro SD card inside the controller... so I opened it up to retrieve it. It is very neat inside too. Great work!

The SD slot is a little too far recessed and there was that section there were my card slipped inside the unit. I used some sticky-tack on the inside. No more hole. You can use the micro to full-size SD adapter to push the SD card for insert and removal.

Will there be future revisions? Will this be available for sale to non-Kickstarter backers?

Again, thank you and great work! My 3d-printed Uzebox is now connected to my TV and the DTV I am using for development.

Question: Why the 4.3 bootloader and not the newest one? Was there a provision to use an AVR programmer to update the bootloader?
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

Hey CunningFellow,

Did you make any extras?

I am interested in buying one in that case :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Didn't receive mine yet, what's the expected date to receive?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Have just been updating the UzeDTV to be a KiCAD7 project rather than gEDA

Almost complete. Will post a zip of the kiCAD project when complete as I think it is a lot more accessible than gEDA/PCB previously posted.

Plus KiCAD gives you nice 3D renders
UzeDTV_KiCAD.jpg
UzeDTV_KiCAD.jpg (193.19 KiB) Viewed 134 times