Video DAC suggestion

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Video DAC suggestion

Post by uze6666 »

Hmmm... wait a sec, theoretically a SD interface on the AVR via SPI could support a bitrate of CPU freq/2 no? Thats 14 megabits/sec or ~1,7 megabyte second. It would be in raw sector mode but with a raw mode write tool, who would care? 8-)

I'll read the ps2 docs tomorrow but so far, you sold me to those (specially with the analogue bit :D ). As long as theres a way to write compatible code with other serial joystick interfaces, I'm more than happy.

Even with your cut, it sounds like a very, very good price. And since cost is more important here, too bad for a kit then. When you're finished, I'd like to get a hand on your version of the schematic to make it the new baseline. I would tweak it a bit just to provide a trough hole part list for the hard core DIY hobbyists.

Best regards,

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:Hmmm... wait a sec, theoretically a SD interface on the AVR via SPI could support a bitrate of CPU freq/2 no? Thats 14 megabits/sec or ~1,7 megabyte second. It would be in raw sector mode but with a raw mode write tool, who would care? 8-)
Heheh... Yeah, having to run around and deal with the FAT stuff soaks up a lot of MHz. Sector mode should be peppy-- and you might be able to support SDHC that way too. You know, for when 20 hours of audio just isn't enough. ;)
I'll read the ps2 docs tomorrow but so far, you sold me to those (specially with the analogue bit :D ). As long as theres a way to write compatible code with other serial joystick interfaces, I'm more than happy.
So you brought up a point just now that I was going to ask about... Do you think it wise to mandate some sort of 'minimal joystick API'? Like maybe just define a mapping for the UDLR/B1B2B3B4/Start/Select buttons in a couple bytes so that the PSX or NES or Genesis pads could all look the same to game code for basic functions? The kernal/core/BIOS (whatever you consider it) could probe for either the NES or PSX pads and then for 'minimal' functions they'd just be transparently compatible? (if u8PSX_PAD==TRUE, then enable analog stick options in a game, etc.?)
Even with your cut, it sounds like a very, very good price. And since cost is more important here, too bad for a kit then. When you're finished, I'd like to get a hand on your version of the schematic to make it the new baseline. I would tweak it a bit just to provide a trough hole part list for the hard core DIY hobbyists.
Will do. It's a bit of a mess at the moment since I'm just cutting and pasting from a bunch of other projects... Haven't had to make a single part or footprint yet. :o

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Do you think it wise to mandate some sort of 'minimal joystick API'? Like maybe just define a mapping for the UDLR/B1B2B3B4/Start/Select buttons in a couple bytes so that the PSX or NES or Genesis pads could all look the same to game code for basic functions?
IMHO, the lack of "governance" on some open project can quickly becomes a mess. Take the web browsers. All companies went their own way, an now, NO two browser renders web pages totally the same, some are even totally broken... So if you ask, well I say yes. I wonder if we should not even promote as a baseline, a more richer interface like the PS2 controllers. It's somewhat easier to write "downgrade" code that the opposite. I.e: for Arkanoid support the analogue stick for smoother play and the compatible cross for NES owners. I must decide quickly and define, as you proposed, a standard mapping with minimum requirements. Like this, everyone will be able to share and play their games whether they have a NES gamepad or an arcade cabinet. :D

To all, please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Uze