SD card problems

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: SD card problems

Post by uze6666 »

Ah, so you won't have fragmentation issues then. I'd be curious to get one of those cards to see why they dont work. Perhaps different brands can work differently. My SD code was pretty simple supporting only the typical cases. The SD demo could be improved to help troubleshoot this issue.

The brands i tested are HP, Kingston and Sandisk i found on ebay.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Well I will test some other cards...
But it's very very curious that many of my tested crads don't work or
that every card produced the same stuff on the tv:
a red flashing bar!

But if you say that a red flashing bar testifies that the problem isn't my wiring, I'm calm!
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Help!! I'm on the best way...

I took a SD (unknown brand) card from an "old" TomTom, formatted it and put some .uze files on it.
Plugged in, start the Uzebox... nothing but a flashing red bar... ok...
Put the card out, started the Uzebox and plugged the card again in (while running the Uzebox).

Now there are some strange chars on the screen...like white little bars or maybe something else, but no actual page or any displayd game entries... BUT when I press start, the loader begins to load anything (as if a game was selected). Then the Uzebox reboot into the Gameloader, nothing happens...

- so, is the SD card more compatible than the other ones?
- What's wrong?
- Now, can I exclude possible wrong wiring?
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Problem solved!!

Harty123 changed the speed of the SPI in the bootlader and now it works fine for my cards!!!!!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Finally! So your card are too slow eh? Hey Harty, what setting did you use? I'm gessing it slows down the reading and flashing significantly?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

jepp.... Harty will publish the code and the changes later!

woah... I'm sooo happy now :D
Although the box doesn't initialized the card correctly after a soft reset, only after hard reset but whatever...
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Although the box doesn't initialized the card correctly after a soft reset, only after hard reset but whatever...
That may actually be a bug or something fixable in software. I rarely used the soft reset with the gameloader. I'll open a ticket in gcode to keep track of this.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

would be great!!!
because when a soft reset doesn't work correctly, the reset feature on the joypad would make no sense... :lol:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Issue created. Btw, how does the issue manifest itself? What does it do?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Kilo wrote:would be great!!!
because when a soft reset doesn't work correctly, the reset feature on the joypad would make no sense... :lol:
Depends. If you set the gameloader in game-first mode, that makes sense since the game resets to itself.