SD card problems

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Kilo

SD card problems

Post by Kilo »

I've got a problem.
the gameloader only shows a red flashing bar and no games...
I've tried different Atmegas, checked my connection, checked the voltage and the resistors.

The SD card is a toshiba with 512 MB...

My question is: When I see an flashing red bar and nothing else... so, could the problem be a wrong SD card or also a wrong wiring?

KILO
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: SD card problems

Post by uze6666 »

If you see the red bar flashing, the card initialized so your connections should be ok. A couple things:
  • P1 joypad must be plugged in
  • sd card formatted in fat16
  • all .UZE files in the root
Also, try flashing the sd card demo hex to see if you can browse the card content.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

So instead of the gameloader I have to flash the sd card demo?
Ok, I'll try...

Joypad is already on P1, otherwise the flashing bar will not be visible
the card is clear and formatted in Fat16 and there are .uze files on it.. without any folders
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Ok, I've tested the cards with the sd card demo hex

both the mmc and the sd card were recognized without problems. I can scroll through the map and create new sectors. But, I see in the SD card demo program on the right side only the points, there is no content appears, is that correct?

So, the wiring should be correct, browsing through the card works... what the *CENSORED* is the problem??? :twisted:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

You should see some data, just like a classic HEX editor. That's puzzling. Seems like the sd controller is working but not the flash. I can't see much more that the card themselves being the problem. Formatting issue may have prevented seeing files in the bootloader, but that should not prevent raw sector read. What's the brand and model of the cards? On what OS was it formatted and do you see content on it via a sector editor?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

So, I used Toshiba SD, AGFA SD and Pretec MMC...
I formatted under Windows...FAT... and then I put the Uze files on.

No card shows any data... not in the bootloader or in the sd card demo.
As I said, there are only the points, like an empty file in a hex editor!

So, I really hope that I can forget about problems of my wiring and the problems are maybe wrong cards or wrong formating... well, the fuses on the Atmega are the right ones..
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

So, I used Toshiba SD, AGFA SD and Pretec MMC...
I formatted under Windows...FAT... and then I put the Uze files on.

No card shows any data... not in the bootloader or in the sd card demo.
As I said, there are only the points, like an empty file in a hex editor!
Never tested any of those brands. Did you check under a *windows* sector editor? I ask because once I got a card that I could format and write stuff to, but ecen i saw content in explorer, nothing was written to the card. Realised later it was half broken, the controller worked but not the flash.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

hm... it's puzzling
with a sector editor I can see some data.. don't know if it's really the needed stuff!
e.g. one uze file shows in sector 6 any data... I don't know

maybe I need a SD card for testing which is really the right one to use!
Then I can clearly say that the problem isn't the card
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Oh yeah, one more thing. There is no fragmentation support in Uzebox code so the card must be freshly reformatted before use. Also, there's a tool you can use to verify flash card, to be 100% sure: h2testw http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... estw.shtml. Used it in the past to validate a lot of cheap sd cards from ali express.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

what do you mean by reformated?
well, I formated the card and then I've put stuff on it! So what's the meaning of fragmentation now?

H2testw reports no errors :(

The only thing could be wrong cards I use, but that would be really strange because I've already tried 4 different!