Uzebox enters the matrix!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Roukan

Re: Uzebox enters the matrix!

Post by Roukan »

uze6666 wrote:I guess we should do a poll then...who's for a "raiser card" and who's for a controller "dongle"? :?: And what's your Uzebox flavor?
Controller Dongle: If it doesn't involve soldering or tools then it's always going to be the hot favourite to get my vote :lol:

EUzebox here.

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

really interesting discussion. I vote for the controller port too! For (E)Uzeboxers with enclosures it is the easiest way - otherwise it is diffcult and tricky to add the module and of course WLAN modules in a aluminum case won't work (Greetings from Mr. Faraday...) ;)

-Harty
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I am curious how the controller port method might be possible? The only pin unique to P2 port is data, is it ok to clock out 16 bits from pad 1, then use clock and P2data for a serial type interface? If P1 pad isn't latched again it shouldn't hurt the next pad state to clock it more right?
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I go for expansion module use.

I don't mind the controller dongle, but the Uzebox JAMMA doesn't have any controller ports!

Not sure how many people will be wifi linking arcade machines though... :lol: :lol:
Janka

Post by Janka »

I would expect pad 1 data report an endless stream of ones because the uppermost shift register bit is tied to +5V.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

DaveyPocket wrote:Uzebox JAMMA doesn't have any controller ports
I forgot about that. All games get recompiled with some changes to work on Uzebox Jamma correct? If we have an interface/protocol with a little mcu using a couple pins, we could easily have which pins are used configurable at compile time. In that way, both solutions could be work the same.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I am curious how the controller port method might be possible? The only pin unique to P2 port is data, is it ok to clock out 16 bits from pad 1, then use clock and P2data for a serial type interface? If P1 pad isn't latched again it shouldn't hurt the next pad state to clock it more right?
The way I see it is to latch and clock P1 port as usual. The module on P2 port could be signaled by say leaving the latch line down while pulsing the clock once. Then sending a command or receiving data. I must admit I didn't gave it a lot of thought, just a gut feeling it would work. So that question is very pertinent!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

If we have an interface/protocol with a little mcu using a couple pins, we could easily have which pins are used configurable at compile time. In that way, both solutions could be work the same.
Exactly.Better yet, could even be dynamic using a flag in the eeprom...
(Greetings from Mr. Faraday...)
:) btw, redpine also have a version with an external u.fl antenna.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

D3thAdd3r wrote:
DaveyPocket wrote:Uzebox JAMMA doesn't have any controller ports
I forgot about that. All games get recompiled with some changes to work on Uzebox Jamma correct? If we have an interface/protocol with a little mcu using a couple pins, we could easily have which pins are used configurable at compile time. In that way, both solutions could be work the same.
There's an idea. From the beginning I never really expected people to be playing console based Uzebox games on the Uzebox JAMMA, thought people would be writing games oriented around the Uzebox JAMMA hardware (maybe that hasn't happened yet). Kind of like the UJ would go it's own small path. So it was meant to have games compiled specifically for the device. Not saying it HAS to be like that, just something previously intended to be.
uze6666 wrote: Exactly.Better yet, could even be dynamic using a flag in the eeprom...
That's definitely a good idea.

What if we do this. Make the wireless module have BOTH a spot for a controller adapter AND an expansion header so it's all one board but people can choose between expansion header and second player controller connector. EEPROM flag will determine which to use.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Got the chip today, the size of a quarter/euro, neat! I want to start experimenting but I am afraid I will blow it up with 5volts :?