Uzebox PAL support

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox PAL support

Post by uze6666 »

Anybody interested in porting the Uzebox to PAL? The AD725 supports it with a simple logical pin.In fact, most work would have to be done in software. I'm sure someone would be willing to do it (like me :P ), but where can we get PAL enabled devices in north America?
ekros

Re: Uzebox PAL support

Post by ekros »

uze, I live in Europe so I'll have to port uzebox to PAL if I want to see some colors on the screen :)
I'll tell you about my progresses with it, but first I've to build the hardware!! :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The problem will be the kernel's video timing interrupt, its very precise. One cpu cycle more or less and the image screws up! :?
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

Why not buy an NTSC to PAL converter box? I found one for $30.00 USD http://sewelldirect.com/MayFlash-NTSC-t ... verter.asp.

Cheers,
Compman
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Correct me if I'm wrong - does PAL even need the AD725? If there is RGB on the board, then why not let it output RGB to RGB60 via Scart? Much better picture, cheaper solution!
CompMan

Post by CompMan »

I would have to look into it a bit further but it sounds like a possible option.

Compman
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Cheers - let us know :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I was looking at the AD725 doc and realized that for PAL it requires around 18Mhz. Doubling that, as required by the software, would give ~36Mhz! I didnt' try it, but I seriously doubt the mega644 will work at that speed. So the only other alternative would be to develop something for the RGB SCART like everblue said. I saw a project on net the other day doing just that. This will however require a rewrite of most sync and rendering code, not for the feint of heart :) . As compman suggested, if you're not too inclined in spending so much efforts, a NTSC-to-PAL is your best bet.

Cheers,

Uze
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

My PAL TV handles NTSC signal no problem :D
Tinctu

Post by Tinctu »

It is not problem with new TVs here in EUROPE.
But I am interesting.
You can make that switch NTSC/PAL...