Uzebox Schematic's

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
professor-skill

Uzebox Schematic's

Post by professor-skill »

Hello All

I'm not quite sure if I am posting in the right section and if I am not, I am trully sorry but i was wondering where i could learn about how to put it together and understand it. I was looking over the Schematic and having a bit of hard time understanding it all and i was trying figure what kind or where to get the main board / base board at? Also trully understanding what the chips do would really be nice if you guys could point me in the right direction it would be great and really appreciated!! And i just wanted everyone to know that this project is trully the greatest I have ever found, its just so interesting.

Sincerely Matt

P.s. if i am posting in worng place sorry again :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzebox Schematic's

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Matt, glad you like the project!

For the time being, the knowledge base is really these forums. There's already a lot of topics covering almost all aspects of the console from video, sound and controllers. I know it seems a bit overwhelming to read through all these posts, but until I can find time to write tutorials, it's your best source. ;)

The ATmega644 is a general purpose micro-controller with 64K of flash memory (for code and data) and 4K of RAM. The AD725 is a RGB-to-NTSC converter. It take three discrete signals (red, green and blue) and does the complicated job of turning that into a composite video signal ready to be plugged in a TV.
what kind or where to get the main board / base board at?
I don't grasp what you meant here. Could you precise?

Cheers,

Alec
professor-skill

hey uze

Can not wait for the tutorials and all!!! 8-) but I was wondering where or what did u read to understand all this like how u made it and what maybe I could read to understand all the building and the chips! I just trully wanna know how each chip functions and works together thats all like where did all your knowledge come from im just a curious guy. Also What i meant by the main board / base board is what the chips attach to.

See below he used a green one.

And below here is a white one

and finally below here is the one you made with like an orange / red

So ya hopefully thats a bit more descriptive and ya if you could point me in the right direction I would be happy if not its okay sorry if i reasked old questions again but I would love to learn~!!!

Sincerely Matt
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I was wondering where or what did u read to understand all this like how u made it and what maybe I could read to understand all the building and the chips!
Well, where to start. I've read *quite a lot* and hacked a lot of stuff over the past 20 years or so! 8-) It all started with one of those Radio-Shack 200-in-1 electronic kit at age 10 or something. Add a Vic-20 and the rest is history ;). Later I did some studies in electronics and computers to get a solid base and that's about it. I don't know your electronics or computer background but, for sure learning all that stuff from scratch is a daunting task. Daunting but feasible in those days, with your friend the internet. What's more,since I was never that good in analog stuff, apart from the DAC made of resistors, the project is mostly a digital affair. Binary logic always seemed easier to me that transistors, reactance, integrators and the rest.

First of all, start by reading this topic. There's info on learning material about the ARV (the micro controller).

How everything functions together is another story, as it's all about this project. And unless you scout the forums, you'll have to wait until I or someone else writes documentation about it. Don't despair, I've managed to start writing some docs yesterday. I've completed a video primer, and write something about how the hardware works. I'll release that then work on explaining the software kernel.

About the boards: The green, red and white boards are made by a member (havok1919). They are printed circuit boards (PCBs) he designed based on a revision of my schematic. He has already manufactured some and they will sell very shortly in some web shops, fully assembled. One thing to note is that his boards uses surface mount technology (SMT) so it's not intended to be assembled by peoples. If you just wan't to start writing games, that's your best options. On the other hand, if you are of the DIY kind, another member Ladyada, will sell kits very shortly. Her kits will have a PCB using through hole components and a bag of parts, so you can assemble and solder it yourself. The great thing about her board is that the only SMT part (AD723) will be pre-soldered to make thing easier!

My version is made of a simple prototyping board. It's just made of small holes in which you slip components and wire them from the other side. It's much more work that way than using a PCB. But at the same time, when you make mistakes its easy to correct: cut the wire and rewire it somewhere else. With PCBs, you are usually stuck with ordering some new ones. And that's a bit more expensive.

Hope that helps,

Alec
professor-skill

Hey all

Thank you so much for the information started reading up on it all and thank you again for explaing the whole pcb thing, I took alot of time to read up on them and such but I have one more quick question about them. Lets say I redo the schematics in eagle so I can get a pcb made up, I was just wondering where I would take it too?? Would it be like a radio shack or something like that?

Sincerely Matt 8-)

P.S. I m a DIY kinda guy... :)
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

professor-skill wrote:Lets say I redo the schematics in eagle so I can get a pcb made up, I was just wondering where I would take it too?? Would it be like a radio shack or something like that?
A PCB prototyping outfit will be able to fab the board-- www.4pcb.com, www.pcb4u.com, www.pcbnet.com, www.apcircuits.com, etc.

-Clay