No more AVCores..

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
slobu

No more AVCores..

Post by slobu »

I don't see a good way to obtain a ready made or easily (no solder) assembled Uzebox. No one has AVCore modules anymore. I'm not going to spend hundreds for a Supergun and Jamma Uzebox combination. Am I missing something?
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: No more AVCores..

Post by uze6666 »

Hi,

Unfortunately, AVCore stocks are gone and there's no other sources for it. ITeadStudio in China sells an assembled version of the kits sold in the Uzebox Store here. They sell it for 55$ with two included controllers and shipping is not expensive if I recall. Only thing is that it's not clear from the web page if the bootloader is pre-programmed or not (email them first). That's not an issue if you have a ISP programmer (like the AVRISP MKII) though...

-Uze
slobu

Post by slobu »

Thanks for the link! I especially appreciate being answered personally by the man himself!

I'd like to go off topic to sound out an idea or two.

Has anyone considered porting the Uzebox emulator to Raspberry Pi? The hardware is absurdly cheap and powerful. Soon production will ramp up and make it fairly common hardware too. I would submit that the Uzebox is NOT a hardware platform but the concept of easy, personal console development and mutual enjoyment. As for the software I still think BASIC is the way to go. I mean, compiled BASIC not interactive BASIC with an IDE on the Uzebox. It is possible and done before. Look at this http://www.rhombus-tek.com/BC4Arduino.html or stuff like MMBasic http://mmbasic.com/

The old school are already soldering together their individual solutions. The new school couldn't put together a model car much less a console in "kit" form. The Uzebox currently occupies an awkward middle ground that neither side feels completely compelling (in my opinion). The Uzebox is Uze6666s gift to the masses - but the masses have forgotten how to own their tools and ideas.
Everyone has a PS3 but does it truly belong to next generation? Uzebox could be THEIR console. One that they could assemble themselves without melting lead. One that allowed them to write their first game in a relaxed language like BASIC. That ease of success brings personal satisfaction. Personal satisfaction brings the commitment and passion needed to move forward into soldering components and compiling C libraries. As a kid I knew that the Apple II was MY machine. BASIC allowed ME to create. The Uzebox could do the same.
tysonlee

Post by tysonlee »

That's a big board for ethernet access, but who cares if it works. Really cool, I'll follow that closely! I have a couple of wiznet modules like this one lying around and waiting to be tested.
tyson