ISP programming on Euzebox

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Ringo888

ISP programming on Euzebox

Post by Ringo888 »

Hi Gents,

I have an AVRISP MkII programmer and tried to program my Euzebox when I noticed the ISP header on the PCB board was 10-way and not 6-way (which is what I have on my ISP MkII).

When I looked at the Euzebox schematics I noticed that the pinouts are different to the standard AVRISP MkII format i.e.

Euzebox AVR (User Guide) pinout
Pin 1 MOSI MISO
Pin 2 VCC VCC
Pin 3 NC SCK
Pin 4 GND MOSI
Pin 5 RESET RESET
Pin 6 GND GND
Pin 7 SCK -
Pin 8 GND -
Pin 9 MISO -
Pin 10 GND -

I had a look at the other NTSC Uzebox schematics (C1-F2) and they all have a 6-way ISP header with the correct pinout for the AVRISP Mk II.

So what piece of hardware do I need to program a Euzebox?

...Dave
Harty123

Re: ISP programming on Euzebox

Post by Harty123 »

Hi Dave,

the 10 pin header is the original ATMEL design for incircuit programming. The 6 pin header comes later! I use an older AVRISP (with RS232) for programming.
avrisp.jpg
avrisp.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
This device has 2 headers for 6 and 10 pin!

You can also use each other AVR-ISP programmer. What you need is an simple adaptor from 10 to 6 pins.
6_to_10_pin_ISP_adaptor.jpg
6_to_10_pin_ISP_adaptor.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

You can also buy such adaptor anywhere! For example from sparkfun:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8508

-Harty
Ringo888

Post by Ringo888 »

Hi Harty,

Although I appreciate what your saying (to keep backward compatibility for AVRISP MkI Programmers), the current pinout its not much use to anyone purchasing a EUzebox who can only buy the latest programmer (which is MkII). It would have been worth adding a dual footprint on the PCB to include a 6-way MkII compatible header to allow user to choose which programming header to populate.

Wiring up an adapter isn't a problem for myself, i'm just thinking of other users. This could do with being documented somewhere (maybe a note on the schematics).

...Dave
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Ringo888 wrote:Although I appreciate what your saying (to keep backward compatibility for AVRISP MkI Programmers), the current pinout its not much use to anyone purchasing a EUzebox who can only buy the latest programmer (which is MkII). It would have been worth adding a dual footprint on the PCB to include a 6-way MkII compatible header to allow user to choose which programming header to populate.

Wiring up an adapter isn't a problem for myself, i'm just thinking of other users. This could do with being documented somewhere (maybe a note on the schematics).
Good idea for a future EUzebox version!

-Harty