un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: Unibox - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Post by danboid »

My boards have arrived so I think I have all the required parts and tools to make a EUzebox now, hopefully!

£6 got me 2x breadboards so I've ended up with 4 of 'em.
danboid

Re: Unibox - WIP 2020 EUzebox BOM

Post by danboid »

I may have to order some alternate power jacks now. :D

I ordered a couple of these:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... A-ND/96962

It is sold as a through hole component but its legs don't go through the holes of my breadboard, nor would they align with the holes if I was to file the legs down.

Maybe there is a nice hack to make it attach but I'd rather use microUSB for power if I can do so without any changes to the EUzebox schematic. Otherwise, does anyone know of a power jack that is easier to solder to a breadboard?
danboid

Post by danboid »

It looks like this is the sort of power jack I need if I'm sticking with the barrel connector:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... -ND/275425

I presume that the other type of power jack is what you would want if you were using a proper Uzebox PCB and not a breadboard?

Should I order some of these or get a micro USB connector?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 pm It looks like this is the sort of power jack I need if I'm sticking with the barrel connector:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... -ND/275425

I presume that the other type of power jack is what you would want if you were using a proper Uzebox PCB and not a breadboard?

Should I order some of these or get a micro USB connector?
Get the power jacks in my opinion! Those, they fit in a perfboard pretty well (the first choice, as you discovered, is not the right choice for this). The problem with USB is that it will give you 5V, so you will need to get rid of the regulator, and will be at the mercy of the supply. Might work fine, but if you have the regulator (which need at least 7 or so volts) and the related components on board, then power more depends on those. It is important due to the overclocking, the ATmega might just not run anything well from, say, 4.5 volts, and it is still within the spec for USB as far as I know, so you might have only that.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks for explaining why I'm best off sticking with the standard power jack. I'll order some of those that I linked to then.

I presume the other type of power jack is used on the UB PCB? If not, we should fix that in the official BOM txt file.

EDIT

My BOM (see first post) has been updated to v0.5 now to list the correct power jack for those using pad breadboards. A note has been added why a slightly different part is used for the power jack versus the official UB BOM.

EDIT 2

I have updated the OP with pics of the Euzebox build I will be basing mine on.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:23 amI presume the other type of power jack is used on the UB PCB? If not, we should fix that in the official BOM txt file.
Yes, that jack is on mine (V1.3.1 PCB). The holes are big on the PCB, so for it, that jack fits better, even though in a pinch you could likely solder the other one on it just as well.
danboid

Post by danboid »

My power jacks should arrive on Monday.

Have you posted pics of your UB to the forum Jubatian? Do you work as a professional games developer?

Does UB have an integrated MOD player as part of its menu system?
danboid

Post by danboid »

The good news is that the PJ-102A power jack seems to be what I wanted and I have successfully soldered that as well as the DIP and the 6-pin header onto my breadboard now:
IMG_20200713_231510-small.jpg
IMG_20200713_231510-small.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5754 times
But now I'm having doubts about the Linear Voltage Regulator I bought. I'm not sure its the right package for use on a breadboard. Its got 3 legs that fit fine but then a metallic bit sticking out of the top with a hole in it that looks out of place. Is that its heatsink?

Here is the component I'm not so sure of:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-v ... s/7856762/

Has nobody done a complete Euzebox breadboard BOM before to spare me all this trouble? I've not seen one on these forums but maybe I've missed it?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Yes, that's a heatsink (and a place to attach a bigger heatsink). You probably don't need a bigger heatsink, as long as your input voltage to the regulator isn't super high.

Sorry, I've never messed with a Euzebox before, so I'm not sure.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I previously announced I had all the components but it seems I can safely take that back now. I very lazily presumed that the components of the Euzebox would be almost the same as the regular UB except for the SCART connector so I just bought whatever was listed on the regular UB BOM apart from the s-video connector and the second chip. I have only looked at the power circuit so far but it differs from the regular UB so I expect there will be other components I'll be missing too.

As for power, the regular UB uses this:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en?k ... 1700-3302E

Which is what I have, but the Euzebox uses these instead (EDIT: As well)

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/bridge-r ... s/8151162/

There seems to be quite a difference in their spec so I doubt I can get away with using the MCP1700 in place of the B40C800.

The Euzebox also needs, for power:

470uF, 25V cap - Nearest I've got is CAP ALUM 220UF 20% 16V RADIAL or CAP ALUM 10UF 20% 50V RADIAL
10uF/10V cap - Nearest I've got are CAP TANT 10UF 10% 6.3V RADIAL or CAP ALUM 10UF 20% 50V RADIAL

Do you think any of those components are close enough or will I need to buy those exact spec caps?

EDIT

Nope, the Euzebox also uses a MCP170X.

I'm updating my spreadsheet now.