un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Jubatian

Re: Unibox - WIP 2020 EUzebox BOM

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:31 pmThere seems to be quite a difference in their spec so I doubt I can get away with using the MCP1700 in place of the B40C800.
Huh? :shock: The B40C800 is a bridge rectifier, while the MCP1700 is a voltage regulator. Hope it is a typo since these two of course are absolutely not anything equivalent! If you prefer DigiKey, I think this could do as a B40C800 replacement.

For the caps, if you don't find an exact match, match the capacitance, while the voltage can be higher. The voltage rating on the cap tells what voltage the cap can withstand, so in your 5V circuits, the 6.3V one is probably fine, since if that voltage got there, some chips might also go up in smoke anyway. The 470uF cap is for smoothing the input, it needs to be able to withstand the highest voltage you may plug into it, since it is rare to have a PSU with a jack output giving above 25V, I think you should use 25V as a lower bound for that one, though the 16V one may also be fine. Just that then if you happen to have a 20V supply, which the 5V regulator would be happy to take, you wouldn't be able to use it since you would likely blow the cap. If you find only a higher capacitance for that 470uF one, that's fine there, too.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Jubatian!

I have updated the BOM spreadsheet to 0.6. After looking at the EUzebox schematic and placement diagrams, I worked out I was missing 10 components, mainly resistors and capacitors so these have now all been ordered and added to the BOM. Annoyingly, the 10K resistors are on backorder at RS and so I could be waiting another month before they arrive.

I know I've said it several times already but hopefully I'm finished ordering components now. My BOM is a bit of a mess now as it includes the parts to build both the EUzebox and the regular UB. I intend to tidy it up when it is built and working by only listing the required/used parts.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Last week I collected a 26" Sony Wega TV for free. I found it on Freecycle. I've not tested it yet but its in pretty good condition and I'm told it does work. I try to borrow my friends Megadrive to test it out.

Artcfox:

You never explained the 11 Uzeboxes thing. How or why have you got so many? Pics please!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I didn't want to wait another month for that one resistor to arrive from RS so I've ordered some from Farnell:

https://uk.farnell.com/neohm-te-connect ... dp/1083362
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pmI didn't want to wait another month for that one resistor to arrive from RS so I've ordered some from Farnell:
Just asking, why so many places? When I started looking for components, I ended up with Mouser, it seems they have fairly good selector for hobbyist usage (like for 10K resistors this filter). The nice point is that when you list by price, it will order by one unit prices, so you get the best buy on the top, which is actually available as one unit. I didn't find it difficult to collect the parts I needed for an entire Uzebox there, apart from the perfboard and the SNES connectors. There could be other stores which work well, but a quick try with RS didn't look that useful to me (at least I couldn't find how to prioritize those items which wouldn't come by one truckload as minimum unit of shipment).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Nice!

A while back CunningFellow designed and built the surface mount all-in-one "Uzebox DTV" https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... palm-of-yo

So I ordered a bunch of those, plus I have the one that I built from a kit in a 3D printed case, and my Uzebox Portable.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Jubatian wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 pm
danboid wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pmI didn't want to wait another month for that one resistor to arrive from RS so I've ordered some from Farnell:
Just asking, why so many places? When I started looking for components, I ended up with Mouser, it seems they have fairly good selector for hobbyist usage (like for 10K resistors this filter). The nice point is that when you list by price, it will order by one unit prices, so you get the best buy on the top, which is actually available as one unit. I didn't find it difficult to collect the parts I needed for an entire Uzebox there, apart from the perfboard and the SNES connectors. There could be other stores which work well, but a quick try with RS didn't look that useful to me (at least I couldn't find how to prioritize those items which wouldn't come by one truckload as minimum unit of shipment).
Buying from so many places wasn't intentional at all and is something I have tried to avoid/minimise. That hasn't been aided by me not knowing exactly what it was I needed to buy and so I have ended up buying everything in numerous bursts.

It is very expensive for me to buy anything from DigiKey and Mouser here in the UK. Even the smallest, lightest component incurs £14 postage so I would prefer if I could've bought everything from RS or Farnell. It would be good to see someone iterate on this BOM to see if they can buy everything from Mouser maybe except for the SNES connectors and controllers, as you say. It was easiest for me to buy most of the components from DigiKey because those are the parts referenced in the official UB BOM. There was less chance of me buying wrong parts as happened with the power jack.

At least we (almost?) have a reference BOM for the Euzebox now to save others the tedium of working out what is required to build your own, although I wouldn't advise anyone trust this too much until I've built mine and I can confirm it is complete.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 pm It is very expensive for me to buy anything from DigiKey and Mouser here in the UK. Even the smallest, lightest component incurs £14 postage so I would prefer if I could've bought everything from RS or Farnell. It would be good to see someone iterate on this BOM to see if they can buy everything from Mouser maybe except for the SNES connectors and controllers, as you say. It was easiest for me to buy most of the components from DigiKey because those are the parts referenced in the official UB BOM. There was less chance of me buying wrong parts as happened with the power jack.
True, didn't quite pay attention to the postage, since I rather approached it thinking what I might need for various tinkering, so I ended up with stuff out of which I could build two Uzeboxes in addition to what I already have. The BOMs could be tricky, you assemble it today, but a year from now, those part might just not be there any more, or cost / minimal order becoming prohibitive. So I rather took the approach to see what each of them does, and picking whatever fits. Like with resistors, for the display, let's see what gives me the proper output, and I can find in 1% tolerance in adequate quantities. 750 ohm, 1.5Kohm and 3Kohm with 75 ohm to ground, still giving the right levels for Scart. Voltage dividers for SD the same, the important point is to get something reasonably about 3.3V into the card. The 10K used for pull-up could be about anything reasonably large. Then a modest pile of 100nF caps as you just need them for every IC, same for 22pF caps, carefully selecting crystals which need that at the frequencies I was interested in (18MHz in particular for my experiments in addition to a few 28.6MHz ones if I wanted to build a Uzebox).

So got quite a pile of parts in one order from Mouser in the end (in the UK), then most of the rest I picked up from Amazon whenever I needed something anyway, so adding a pack of resistors or leds to an order you make (for example some books in my case) can get those missing components at a fair price with no extra shipping cost.

Now you should mostly have your parts though, so I guess only the Amazon idea might apply if you shop there on occasions.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Have you posted pics of your Uzebox Jubatian? Did you build a regular UB or a Euzebox?

I'm interested to see how you laid everything out as you have the same breadboard.

I don't think the pics I posted in the OP of the Euzebox someone posted on YT are really much worth as a reference because he has made a number of tweaks to the design he claimed to have followed.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 pmHave you posted pics of your Uzebox Jubatian? Did you build a regular UB or a Euzebox?

I'm interested to see how you laid everything out as you have the same breadboard.
Believe me, you probably wouldn't want to do this! :lol: These are two Uzebox-like experiments, scroll down to see the second one for which I had a perfboard on which I actually managed to fit it!