un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: Unibox

Post by danboid »

Jubatian wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:10 pm
danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:44 amWhat gauge wiring do people tend to use on these things? In the UK its measured in square mm and the wire I have is 1.5 sqmm. Do you think I'll need thinner wire to stop it becoming a jungle?
I actually used the snipped off leads of the resistors & caps to wire mine on the perfboard! :D Not a single extra wire!
danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:44 amI thought I had a suitable power supply to use with it but seems not so I need to fetch one of those now too. Any recommendations for PSU?
You might have an MC7805CT or similar part there, the 796-8060 items seem to be one of those. It is a voltage regulator which gives the 5V output which the AVR needs, the input is 7 - 18 volts. You might also have a diode network before that to resolve polarity (a bridge rectifier), though by the parts list, I don't quite see it, check the circuit you are building for it. If it is in place in some form, then just about any PSU does which gave you something between 7 - 18 volts and the plug fits into the jack!
I have bought 2 of these:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en?k ... 2E%2FTO-ND

Do you not think they'll cut it for use with the MC7805CT?
danboid

Post by danboid »

Looks like I should've bought 5 of these instead for the regulators:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-v ... s/7856762/
danboid

Post by danboid »

Jubatien says he used the clippings from his caps etc to make the connections on his UB. That's cool but it also sounds quite fragile.

My wire stripper also strips 0.75 and 1mm gauge wire so I presume I'm best off getting some 0.75mm, solid single core wire. Might 1mm be better?

I am going to video and document every step of me making my UB. Surely someone has already done this but I have yet to see such a video on YT.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 pm I have bought 2 of these:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en?k ... 2E%2FTO-ND
These are for the SD Card, they take 5V input, and produce the 3.3V required by the card.
danboid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:55 pm Looks like I should've bought 5 of these instead for the regulators:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-v ... s/7856762/
Seems pretty much equivalent, when I was gathering parts for my stuff, I browsed on Mouser and kept looking for similar parts until finding one with fitting specs, cheap and available ( This should give a good Mouser result for this ).

For the wires, I think about anything goes which feels reasonable and solders well. I particularly like the snipped off leads since those almost want to bathe in solder, very easy to work with, and for the most paths on a perfboard, their lenght is just fine (did these). They feel very sturdy for me for traces, of course you shouldn't dangle connectors on them (find means to attach them securely to the perfboard, I think the SNES connectors and the SD Card socket are the most difficult to get reasonably robust in such a case).
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Jubatian!

I have updated the BOM spreadshet again to 0.3 to list a correct and available (in small quantities, in the UK) 7805 Linear Voltage Regulator, which I have now ordered, and I have replaced the wire stripper and wire suggestions with items I ordered today inc. the TUOFENG 6 Different Colored 9 Meter spools 22 Gauge Jumper Wire set and a suitable wire stripper.

I have cut my perf board down to size so I should be ready to start putting it together on Tuesday.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Picture of incorrect breadboard type was here.
Last edited by danboid on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I think I might've messed up in buying stripboard instead of a breadboard. I don't think a stripboard is going to make things easier for me, rather the opposite.

I think I need something about 100 mm x 100 mm (or larger) size wise, but what of the other board specs? Single or double-sided? Plated or non-plated holes? Round or square plating etc?

Here are some potential boards:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... -ND/415999

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... -ND/415998

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... -ND/480489

All advice appreciated,

Thanks!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I picked the perfboards up from Amazon, unable to find reasonable ones on electronics webstores. Something like this one would work, there are many similar of various sizes, this one linked is larger than that I build that contraption with an SRAM chip and a couple of latches added, a Uzebox should fit on it fine. The most harrowing experience will be securing the SNES connectors adequately to it, it is possible, I did it by making hooks out of leads to anchor three of the pins lining up well firmly, for the rest, guiding the wire attaching to it across a hole behind, of course dousing it all in solder good (not too much, just as much as would flow and adhere well to form that bond) for a solid grip.

With the SNES connectors also extra care needs to be taken to not heat them up too much, for extended periods as the plastic would melt! This might be difficult when focusing on getting it adhering properly, those fat pins sink away a lot of heat.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Jubatian!

I have updated my BOM spreadsheet to list the boards you suggested instead.

Did you buy from the same vendor ie did you buy yours from the seller you linked to? I bought 2 without really thinking about it then re-read the item description and realised I may be receiving either 4 or 10 boards! It says 2PCS in the main description then 5PCS later on. How many boards did you receive? I'm pretty sure the 5PCS is a typo, I reckon I've got 4 boards on the way.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

danboid wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:09 pmDid you buy from the same vendor ie did you buy yours from the seller you linked to? I bought 2 without really thinking about it then re-read the item description and realised I may be receiving either 4 or 10 boards! It says 2PCS in the main description then 5PCS later on. How many boards did you receive? I'm pretty sure the 5PCS is a typo, I reckon I've got 4 boards on the way.
Can't quite remember, just was suggesting it since I know what these look and feel like, fitting their purpose rather well in my opinion. I actually picked up some package with random bits of other stuff in it, LEDs, resistors, connectors and such just so I got a bunch of those along with it.