Uzebox PC

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox PC

Post by uze6666 »

I've been wanting to do this for so long. Coupled with the all-so-awesome tooling of Eagle and Fusion 360, the kernel work done lately, cool video modes and the latest ESP8266 update it finally makes sense to spend time working on this...I've always wanted to make a retro pc machine of my own. Wandering around telnet sites of old BBS and etxt mode web sites just made me wanted to do it with a decent "physical' interface. Yes its nerdy!

So I'll document in this thread how I plan to do this :ugeek: . First off, the case design. I plan to re-use the regular Uzebox pcb for the main circuit since I have a shitload of them lying around. And anyone with a EX1 Uzebox could directly fit it in if they wanted. Now the only thing that sucks is that my version of EAGLE cad is limited to 160mm square. So I'll have to shovel much more, at least for a month to finish the design. Anyhow, here's the first cut. Of course it's heavily inspired by the computer of the 80's. Specifically the C64, C128 and the Tandy EX machines (which the latter I owned).

This keyboard layout is, obviously, not the final design! I will base it on that very nice compact layout on aliexpress which I will use and look deliciously retro. :D
pc-render.jpg
pc-render.jpg (177.24 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
pc-render2.jpg
pc-render2.jpg (225.24 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
nicksen782

Re: Uzebox PC

Post by nicksen782 »

This is a pretty cool idea and would allow for games that need the keyboard. Or, games that actually use the keyboard as a controller (W-A-S-D).

But, it will be an Uzebox inside of a box that looks like a Commodore 64? I know the ESP8266 is already in there for WiFi but have you considered the ESP32? It would be plenty enough to be an overall bootloader, manager. Maybe like a hypervisor or something.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah, just a regular uzebox PCB. Otherwise, I'm afraid the effort required will just result in me not finishing the thing. :? It will breakout one or two SNES ports too (not shown).

Also just realized the thing is too wide at 32cm and won't fit my printer ...doh! Will have to revise the design an cut it in half.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Whoa, awesome style!