Trying to burn the bootloader

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
CunningFellow

Re: Trying to burn the bootloader

Post by CunningFellow »

Do you access to a scope (work/friend/hackerspace) ?

Very first check I do if something does not have TV out is to see that the 14.xxxMhz signal is present on fclk of the AD723/725

This is a derived by 1/2 of the 28.xxx Mhz clock of the AVR.
diegzumillo

Post by diegzumillo »

Do you access to a scope
Unlikely but I'll ask some of my colleagues.

I suspect my soldering job on that tiny SMD that converts video signals. I never soldered anything that small before. I mean, it looks fine! I inspected all connections visually and it seemed fine, no shortings, good contacts.
ry755

Post by ry755 »

diegzumillo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:38 am I suspect my soldering job on that tiny SMD that converts video signals. I never soldered anything that small before. I mean, it looks fine! I inspected all connections visually and it seemed fine, no shortings, good contacts.
Try reheating the solder, just to make sure there are no cold solder joints. I had the same issue with no video output when I first soldered it, turned out to be cold solder joints.
diegzumillo

Post by diegzumillo »

haha So I was heating up my cheap soldering machine just now, and when I went to solder it the tip fell off. Not the tip tip, the entire rod with the tip! it fell on some rubbery thing I had which started making smoke, almost set off my fire alarm. It was quite a scene. Disastrous but kinda funny. This thing is a hazard. Anyway, I'll get to this on sunday. I took a sick day today and got to unwind a little bit and play around with uzebox stuff.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

If you can plug some speakers in the Uzebox's audio out (the television is not suitable for this as it might refuse to do anything with the audio without a video signal), you may test whether the ATmega644 is fine. Use Arkanoid (from the master repo) as this game starts with music playing, burn it's .hex on the Uzebox by your programmer, and see what happens. If the music plays, and feels like that you may hear when running in the emulator (frequency is not off for example), then indeed the problem should be around the AD725 (the SMD chip).

And ditch that soldering machine before it does more harm :D