Foal of un1b0x

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Foal of un1b0x

Post by uze6666 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 am

Hey Dan,

Wow, you spent a of effort on your Uzebox there! What is your programmer brand/model? I never used Avrdude but if you have a programmer that is compatible with an AVRISP MKII like this one on ali express, you can use Atmel's Studio or the atprogram.exe command line tool to program everything in a way that I know the reliability.

danboid

Post by danboid » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:53 am

Hi Uze

I am a stickler for documentation so I've been doing the rounds on here ponting out all the missing bits of info us total beginners might need that you may not think about. I think its pretty funny how I've seen several posts on here after someone has done a full Uzebox redesign, built and tested it yet only wrote a few lines about it and maybe posted a couple of photos. I'm the total opposite! I'm about a third of the way through and several threads in.

I've just resumed work on my Combat remake. I got half of it done so it'd be a shame not to finish it now, at least recreating the first Combat Tanks levels properly. When I've got that finished I'll definitely want a physical UB to test it on.

I've not made any progress on building my Uzebox. I know I'm going to struggle to solder the AD7XX into place properly. I'll have to get someone else to do that because its definitely beyond my ability but I'm open to hearing any tips or recommendations for getting it attached. The Uzebox construction guides starts with this already attached to the PCB and doesn't offer any advice for those having to attach it themselves. I've glued the AD chip into place and the legs seem to line up but they're not soldered yet.

I have got 2 programmers and one is the official AVRISP MKII that does work with Atmel Studio. I did manage to successfully write the bootloader to my MCU once but only once. A fluke? I'm amazed it worked at all. I don't hear any sound out of the audio jack so its not OK.

It would seem the Uzebox github repo is no longer maintained. It no longer builds under Linux unless you adjust the Makefiles. Do you have write access to it?

danboid

Post by danboid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:57 pm

Seeing as soldering the AD725 has scared me off trying to build a regular Uzebox, I think I might be better off doing this:

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... _Interface

My first failed attempt at building a Uzebox was a EUzebox but I think what is being suggested at the 'Uzebox for SCART' wiki page is closer to the reference Uzebox so I can probably use a regular Uzebox PCB. unlike the EUzebox, right? I want the UB to connect to my UK Sony WEGA TV via SCART cable.

Kerby

Post by Kerby » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:04 am

Hello!
I made my first version of the UB on a regular breadboard and connected it to the TV via SCART, it worked fine))
There is nothing complicated, you need not be afraid of experiments!