un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: un1b0x - 2020 EUzebox BOM

Post by danboid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 pm

The instructions for flashing the bootlloader have a lot of room for improvement.

They're not included in the BL github README (which gives a link to a forum post), they're Windows only and they're also incomplete. I was able to work out how to set the fuses but I'm not sure how you flash the bootloader hex. This should be covered in the README along with instructions on how to do it with avrdude under at least Linux.

The README takes you here:

viewtopic.php?p=3847#p3847

It tells you to set the fuses first and shows you the Atmel/AVR Studio device programmer window but it doesn't explain thats what it is or how where to find it under Studio, that would be helpful to Studio newbs like me.

The very vague instructions for flashing the boot loader amount to:
Then flash the following HEX:
I presume this is done by going to Memory (under the device programmer window) then Flash is it?

Artcfox

Post by Artcfox » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Use uzebox/demos/Bootloader5, see thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9405

and see the last page for detailed instructions, which may have been added to its readme.

It looks like you are using the super old bootloader, which doesn't support SDHC. Jubatian rewrote the new Bootloader5 from scratch, definitely use that one.

danboid

Post by danboid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:33 pm

No, I've been flashing the latest Bootloader5 as built from git.

As for the instructions, I'm referring to how to use Atmel Studio to flash the bootloader, not avrdude. I think the way I tried is the only way you can do it under Atmel Studio, but it'd be nice to have some verification.

I suspect I'm going to have to start over with my build, once I've got some larger breadboards. I don't think the one I used for this first attempt is quite big enough.

The reason I think I'll have to start over is down to how I wired up the crystal, it probably isn't valid. I tried to describe this in a previous post but I didn't provide an image so it probably wasn't very clear what I did so I'm trying to rectify that now.

The Euzebox schematic shows the following highlighted connections when wiring up the crystal:
Screenshot from 2020-07-30 19-47-21.png
Screenshot from 2020-07-30 19-47-21.png (63.71 KiB) Viewed 20 times
I presumed that those highlighted connections were only required if you are using MIDI which I presume requires a second crystal, hence if you're not adding MIDI you could ignore these connection points and instead connect one leg of the crystal to one leg of the 22pf cap and connect that point to one of the XTAL inputs on the MCU. I did that for both of the crystal connections.

Here is a drawing to show how I connected the 22pf caps and the crystal to the MCU. The yellow lines represent wires added later:
mpv-shot0001.jpg
mpv-shot0001.jpg (200.76 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Could that work or is it a definite no-no?

Artcfox

Post by Artcfox » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if that would work or not, I've just always been told that the crystal pins should be placed as close as possible to the pins they are connected to on the uC.