WIP tracker-like app for Uzebox

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
immortalx

WIP tracker-like app for Uzebox

Post by immortalx »

EDIT: Updated first post with new release. You'll always find the latest version here.
3/2/18 Updated to v1.3.0.0 It should now work in Wine (Tested on Ubuntu virtual machine only)
utracker.rar
(3.9 MiB) Downloaded 448 times
Hey guys
I'm currently writing an app which will be able to (hopefully) compose music for the Uzebox.
I have the basic workings done (note/instr/vol editing, copy/paste, playback, etc.). It writes and reads its own format and outputs a very basic inc file.
It's still very crude and the performance is laughable, but I hope it will do the job. I will upload a test version soon.
In the meantime here's a little video.

Last edited by immortalx on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
ry755

Re: WIP tracker-like app for Uzebox

Post by ry755 »

Nice! :) I'm actually working on adding sound effects and music to my WIP game, so I'll try this out!

Is it cross-platform?
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Wow this is awesome! Looking forward to mess around with the test version. Composing and converting music for the Uzebox with a DAW can be quite intimidating. It is for me anyway. So a dedicated Uzebox tool for the job will come in real handy :)
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Sweet! It would be really cool if this could also use the MOD player that is built into the kernel (so repeating sections don't get duplicated). Sadly there isn't much documentation for the MOD player.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well done that is quite cool!
immortalx

Post by immortalx »

@ry755 I wish it would be cross-platform but unfortunately it isn't, as it is written in VB6 :(

@L4rry I'll try to prepare a somewhat acceptable version in a couple of days.

@Artcfox the kernel has a MOD player??? If that is true then there's no reason for me to write this app! I thought there was only a midi player build-in!

@ D3thAdd3r thanks man! Without yours and Artcfox's help I couldn't ever begin to understand what was going on in those .inc files!
ry755

Post by ry755 »

immortalx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 am @ry755 I wish it would be cross-platform but unfortunately it isn't, as it is written in VB6 :(
That's ok. Actually, it should run well in Wine. And if not, I could always create a virtual machine.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

As far as I know the MOD player was only ever used in one game: Tornado 2000. I hand converted a MOD file into MIDI using Rosegarden, but all of the repeating sections ended up having to be repeated in the MIDI.

If you search MOD in the kernel source code, you should see the #ifdef statements and the MOD code.
immortalx

Post by immortalx »

@ Artcfox I wonder why it hasn't be used more. MOD formats look nicer to me than MIDI.

well here's a test version of the program. Included is an inc file exported which should hopefully play in a uzebox. Mine is not available right now, so if you could please test it and report back.

I'm sure you all know that but in case someone doesn't, you have to register the OCXs in the folder with regsvr32. Also please enter compatibility settings and check "Override high DPI scaling" because otherwise it will look blurry.

EDIT: I forgot to mention some basic things.
You place notes on the grid with the keyboard. The base octave can be changed by altering the value of the "Octave" spinbox. The "Step" changes the rate at which rows are skipped when entering notes. There's a right-click context menu with some actions. Transpose, Switch Instrument and Set volume work on a per channel basis in the current pattern. Cut, copy, paste work on the current selection. Delete deletes notes. Finally on the setup tab there's a slider you can tweak if playback lags (which probably will). I'm currently searching how to put the timer loop in a different thread which will probably help get a bit more performance.

EDIT: Attachment removed from here. Look at first post for updated release.
Last edited by immortalx on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I will try and check this out when I have a Windows machine handy, it did not want to work in Wine for me.