Graphics Chip

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
GLneo

Graphics Chip

Post by GLneo »

Hello all, I would like to question the possibility of adding an additional ATtiny micro for video processing functions. I do not know if this should be in the hardware section or not, but I believe this would be a great help to the software developers. With a external video buffer games could run faster and not have to worry about running out of cycles. An additional benefit could be the post-possessing on the graphics chip. I came to this idea while starting my NES emulator and realizing emulation in between HSYNCS would be impossible, where with moving from a two chip to a three chip Uzebox would open all sorts of possibility such as emulation and more computational functionality. I was wondering where the schematics are and what program they were made in so I can try some things. Also any help on how this could be accomplished would be great. Thank you for your time!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Graphics Chip

Post by uze6666 »

I recall this has been discussed in the past a few times. There's a couple issues with this approach. First the interfacing between two MCUs is never very efficient. Second, tiny AVRs , have even less memory than the ATmegas and they don't even have the 2 cycles hardware multiplier, which is absolutely essential in most Uzebox video modes. Third and and it's always been a killer for me, two chips to re-program independently. Thinking about the complexity of flashing two chips from the SD bootloader is even worst! With this said, it could be done (and it's been, i saw a couple vids on youtube) I would just not advocate the approach for the Uzebox, which is all about minimalism and simplicity.

Cheers,

Uze

ps: btw the schematics arehere.
GLneo

Post by GLneo »

We could always use another m644. Also this new chip would not need to be-reprogrammed as it would just blitz its RAM to the screen. I think this small edition to the Uzebox would make the system a full computer and much more like most consoles and less like a novelty thing.

P.S. I believe this would make the system much simpler to program.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

These are new:

http://www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=51

Very similar to the idea being discussed, uses a propeller chip as the video processor. It looks like the AVR just executes the program.
GLneo

Post by GLneo »

WOW!, great find, very close to what I was thinking. What I believe the Uzebox v2 needs is a modern AT91 Core with a dedicated Video Processor such as a low-end ATmega with AD275, allowing for the system to emulate multiple systems like the Game-boy [Advanced], NES, SNES, Atari, etc... As well as have a running operating system allowing for the easy and rapid development of games which can be placed on an SD card and run from a main menu. But the system should maintain its simplicity and just have the original two SNES port controller interface.
GLneo

Post by GLneo »

Upon further consideration the AT91SAM7A3 or AT91FR40162S are the perfect chips for the job, based on the simple ARM7TDMI core and with lots of SRAM and FLASH. I really like the AT91FR40162S Pin grid array packaging have a look!
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

I don't agree with this. If the Uzebox could play Gameboy games, than it has lost it's appeal. While I would like a larger color palette, I do not want it to be powerful enough to emulate the gameboy.
I think this small edition to the Uzebox would make the system a full computer
I could just program on the computer again.
and much more like most consoles and less like a novelty thing.
But thats the key. The Uzebox is not competing with other consoles. If I wanted to code on a full fledge system, Id just use devkitpro and code for my wii.

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
GLneo

Post by GLneo »

All valid points, But if the system could emulate old game systems and maintain a small design this would greatly improve appeal to the end users, but like you said may take some fun away from us developers.
I could just program on the computer again.
It will still be an embedded ARM7 core and have to be programed in C and ASM so I don't believe it will be as trivial as applications for the PC.
But that's the key. The Uzebox is not competing with other consoles.
Very true, but we shouldn't limit ourselves. Lets add some hardware to rum more advanced games than Pong and Pacman.
paul

Post by paul »

GLneo wrote: Lets add some hardware to rum more advanced games than Pong and Pacman.
GLneo

Post by GLneo »

OH GOD NO I'M SORRY BLINKY!

But in all seriousness I'm gonna need help on the schematics, I'm almost done but I'm going to some cheeking work on this thing.