Arduboy Translation Layer

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
D3thAdd3r

Arduboy Translation Layer

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Is anyone familiar with the Arduboy project? It is a neat little open source handheld with: ATmega32u4@16mhz/32K flash/2.5K ram/128*64 1 bit OLED screen/piezo speaker with 6 push buttons(U,D,L,R,A,B). In general the games seem inferior to the Uzebox standard, but still there are some creative nice little games. It might have more free cycles than Uzebox depending how long it takes to write all the stuff bitmap style to a ram buffer and then the transfer time to get that to the screen. The sound is pretty weak in most, but apparently there are some examples where they have a real music engine something like Uzebox. This I consider to be a general idea of the quality of their better games:

Anyway there seems to be some C++ like stuff in there which isn't 1:1, but making a simple translation layer is likely not too hard. I am just wondering some opinion on such an idea. Since the quality on most is not as high, does it bring the Uzebox library down, or is it something neat to have some open source style ports like this? The Uze8 Super Chip 8 video mode matches the spec of their screen, and there seems nothing in particular that would make it unfeasible except if it was "tacky". I doubt there would be much motivation to do it, but there are a lot of potentials games already working that could be ported.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Arduboy Translation Layer

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Eh I tried a little experiment to get that Hollow Seeker game running, it looks somewhat right, by implementing some drawing routines...very slow to draw all that. Perhaps it could be sped up, but it might not be as feasible as I thought just for cycle limits. A lot of bit twiddling.