Uzebox SD Gameloader V0.4.5

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
digitalicarus

Re: Uzebox SD Gameloader Alpha...at last!

Post by digitalicarus »

Supposing that Uzebox lasts a long time, the fact that the AVR program counter points to flash becomes an issue for longevity (10K endurance).

If the we could endure a transition to the 1280/variants we'll have an external memory interface to add some SRAM. Then, the next step is an Uzebox OS with a proper malloc and heap handling. All games can be loaded into ram and we'll never brick an Uzebox after years of flashing some region. Right now the game I want to make is suffering from lack of an effective malloc because I'd have to handle free fragmentation in an already very limited space.

I wonder if Contiki is a good jump point for Uzebox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiki. It's a full blown multitasking OS. The TCP/IP stack could lead to some really impressive opportunities for tying into a social network or having an "app store" for developers to store/deploy their games and apps. Being able to browse to a developers area on the web and load the latest binary on the fly would be super sweet. Aside from networking, the simplicity of Uzebox might still be maintained even with a port of Contiki (Atmel, AD725, SRAM).

I understand if this seems to defeat the purpose or if D3thAdd3r calls me a heretic, but to me the prospect of having a stable OS as a platform for our little 8-bit game system is pretty exciting. It would also decouple our game code from the kernel a bit more which could be good or bad :)

All this being said, I really appreciate the work that Uze and Pragma have done and am eager to build my first Uzebox!
digitalicarus

Post by digitalicarus »

On the other hand, as my buddy pointed out, 10K would let you flash it ~3 times a day for ten years so oh well :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

On the other hand, as my buddy pointed out, 10K would let you flash it ~3 times a day for ten years so oh well :)
Exactly! I have the same chip on my prototype for 2 years and I flashed it perhaps 1-2 times a days in average. So it's not much of a concern IMHO...

The mega1284 can't be overclocked reliably so we'd have to look at the xmegas for some successor...

-Uze
rlaw

Post by rlaw »

I finally got some actual 644's instead of the 644P that was plaguing me. Sure enough, I was able to run the bootloader and flash from SD. Now I'm wondering how do I get back to the bootloader menu? Is it gone once I've flashed from SD, or am I doing something wrong?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Unless you have flashed a game bigger than 61K, the bootloader should be there (to avoid overwriting the bootloader accidentally, be sure to program the bootloader protection fuse). You have to press a key on controller one while resetting to get back into the bootloader. This was a requested feature for some time. I recall this behavior is configurable by setting a bit in the EEPROM (would have to check which one).

-Uze
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,

i have some trouble with the gameloader (both versions). I can see the files on the sd card but not the red bar. If I load a game with AVRISP directly in the flash for example pacman it works fine. What is the reason for this error...

Thx and best regards

Harty
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

digitalicarus wrote:...or if D3thAdd3r calls me a heretic
I guess I can come across as a jerk :lol:

@Harty123
I would try a different SD card, seems that some work well while other do not.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hi Lee,

thx for your reply. I checked 2 different 1GB cards with the same bad result. Is 1 GB too big? I formated both cards with "format X: /FS:FAT /A:16K". Perhaps the controllers are the problem?!

Thx and best regards

Harty
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I don't think 1GB is too big, but IIRC the more important aspect is the brand of the card. Some are built to different timing/specs or something like that, I'm sure Uze knows more about this-try a different brand if you have one lying around. If the controllers normally work fine with games when you flash with the ISP, I don't see any reason to suspect them.

Might want to check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=729&p=5913&hilit=kingston+sd#p5913
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hey Harty,

What Uzebox flavor are you using? Avcore, fuzebox...homemade? After the games are displayed, if pressing up and down, do you hear "click" sounds? Does pressing start launches a game? What controller are you using? I vaguely recall having this problem in the past...

-Uze