can basicpp be useful for development?

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
nitrofurano

can basicpp be useful for development?

Post by nitrofurano »

recently i found this:
https://github.com/rollbear/basicpp
(from my huge ignorance and inexperience on coding for Uzebox, it seems interesting, and probably exciting)
with some adjusts, can this be useful for developing code to Uzebox?
who might want to try it, and share some examples of what can be done and improved?
D3thAdd3r

Re: can basicpp be useful for development?

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Seems that requires c++? As far as I know that isn't ideal on the AVR.

Enough people have wanted BASIC to where research into getting it done seems worth it, to draw more people in. It doesn't seem too easy to make it work well though and I'm not sure if we will ever find a "drop in" solution. Instead I feel it will need to be highly customized for Uzebox resources to have any kind of performance past "Hello World". I hope some wizard makes it happen.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Like I said a lot of people want BASIC on Uzebox. I am curious what the biggest part of the appeal is. Do you find the language itself easier than C, or is it the whole graphics conversion, music conversion, make files, RAM_TILES_COUNT, Avr Studio project setup on the PC that you find unappealing?

I find C easier myself, but like I said, many people have asked for Uzebox BASIC in the past so there is some weight to it if it draws in more users. Are you more interested in a development environment that happens entirely on the Uzebox(make graphics, game code, sounds all on the Uzebox without touching stuff on the PC) or would you prefer to do all the normal stuff on PC and simply use BASIC code to compile? There are a couple different ways to go about BASIC so it's pretty important to know actually appeals to people before someone takes up the cause.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I have taught a LOT of people how to program.

A lot of them have had reservations about C and wanted to learn Java/Basic/Visual-Object-Oriented-Cobol because someone ELSE had told them C was too hard.

That has ALWAYS been the reason for people with no prior knowledge. Someone else tried to scare them off C.

Once they have been shown that C is as easy to do anything simple in, they get on the band wagon. (and maybe shoot themselves in the foot later, but thats OK they know it was them not the Evil C by that stage)

The big problem I see is not "C" but the development environment.

Setting up GCC, Eclipse, C-Build-for-Eclipse, Win-AVR, AVR-Eclipse plugin PLUS SDL and the Uzebox tools is going to scare off people before they even try C.

Hell, I am having a hard time doing all those things myself at the moment.

I hope if I can get a linux live boot CD going with all that stuff done, then you can jump in and get someone (IN C) to type

main(){
{
init_video();
load_sprites();

while(1){
Bounce_Ball();
}
}

Thats the "foot in the door" as I see it