DPCM and other sound musings(and your ideas)

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: DPCM and other sound musings(and your ideas)

Post by uze6666 »

So my understanding is you plan to have it scan back or specify the number of commands to go backwards and we would only need 1 byte cost per channel.
Yep
My only concern was there other ideas what those free cycles might be used for? I do like the DPCM idea if you think it could really work at a fixed sample rate, but for T2K it's still too flash tight to be practical to use that. Does it cause problems for the UART at all? If memory serves there might be some way possible to add something back(since we lost a channel) for games using UART. Is another compile time switch terrible in the inline mixer?
I haven't really given DPCM a lot of thoughs, but there may be way to fit it in but hardly with the UART at the same time without sacrifices, like no loop and such. We can add another switch if required.
Is that worth it to not have to keep a loop counter ?
For only 5 bytes, I'd say it would be simpler more flexible and easier to understand down the road. I'll look back a the track structures, there's maybe some bytes I could recover with some optimizations.
Does the "patch engine" that controls the note run at the hysync rate or the field rate?
Patch commands and music is processed a field rate
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: DPCM and other sound musings(and your ideas)

Post by uze6666 »

I have pushed the patch command loop to the git repo. There's also a couple other little things in there that were lingering like the prng function and eeprom functions update that were discussed. On that latter one, hopefully I didn't introduced any regression.