80x28 1bpp tile mode possible?(For terminal emulator)

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: 80x28 1bpp tile mode possible?(For terminal emulator)

Post by uze6666 »

Is the interrupt ended scanline thing not clear enough in the comments of Torndao2000?
Naah, was just joking. ;) I'ts pretty nice and clear (and cool too)!
80 column modes on an amiga was barely useable on composite. It was 640 pixels of 8x8. I am not sure is 480 with 6x7 pixels would be better or worse.
Yeah, 640x480 was too much for regualr composite. 360x240 looked very good on my Sony Wega using S-Video. It's perfect on my Commodore monitor. So there's hope.
I have one idea coming to mind that could make colour attributes possible if you stuck to ONE colour ROM-Tiles
I am thinking I might be able to sneak in another 2 free clock cycles if CHAR(0) and CHAR(1) are invalid (always black/background) and I waste another 6K of flash on the attribute code.
I think this is fair, unless symbol 1 in ibm ascii set (a little face if I recall) is commonly used in those games. Where/how would you store the attributes? For sure we can't double the vram size for that.

Btw Lee, apart 128 vs 256 what's the characters set? Do you have a page where we can see it?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

uze6666 wrote:I think this is fair, unless symbol 1 in ibm ascii set (a little face if I recall) is commonly used in those games. Btw Lee, apart 128 vs 256 what's the characters set? Do you have a page where we can see it?

Where/how would you store the attributes? For sure we can't double the vram size for that.
:oops: I wasn't expecting this to progress so fast, I will find more information on that. This terminal stuff is all straight ASCII and you can change fonts in different terminals so I think characters beyond 128 are rare or unused(since too I think terminals supported 7bit mode in the past?) What I do know is that PuTTY is regarded as a good NetHack terminal and even has a NetHack input mode, it defaults to this fontset when you install it:
nh_chars.jpg
nh_chars.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
I will test out some other stuff but I don't remember seeing the characters past 128 anywhere.

Edit-my bad I put the wrong font, fixed now
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

BTW there are tons of these games and people play then, check out this sitehttp://www.mudconnect.com/ click a game and they should have their telnet address you can click. The MultiUserDungeon thing is at the far end of how nerdy I am willing to get, but doing it on Uzenet makes it very cool 8-)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I had to try it! Well, that was easy. Here's a demo with a quick hack to mode9 and slight changes to gconvert to regenerate the codetiles. It looks pretty good on my monitor. It's amazing that we raised the bar once again, thanks Cunning! :mrgreen:

I've created mode13 from mode9 and you may use it until CunningFellow improves it with attributes or else. It's commited.
mode13.jpg
mode13.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
Attachments
Mode13Demo.uze
(29.99 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Mode13Demo.hex
(82.97 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Umm, I just asked about the feasibility of this last night, tonight I am looking at an 80 columns video mode. Wow.
paul

Post by paul »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Umm, I just asked about the feasibility of this last night, tonight I am looking at an 80 columns video mode. Wow.
All these years and all we had to do was ask :?: :!:

Please sirs, may we have a mode capable of Wolfenstein? 8-)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I was thinking maybe doing the attributes compressed/sparse so it didn't take up 2.2k extra RAM.

The other idea could be 16 colour attributes, but that might be a tough call in 4 clocks.

Final idea would be "inverse" as the only selectable attribute and it being the MSB.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Paul, YES I think you can have a wolfenstien mode if you want.

I have 3 other new video modes to finish up fitst though.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3athAdd3r,

Sorry about the slackness on the 16 colour palletised mode. I'll get that one sorted out soon
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Final idea would be "inverse" as the only selectable attribute and it being the MSB.
Got the same idea! Tried a couple things but could not make it work so far...

Really looking to how you make a pallette mode with 3 free cycles! :shock: