Upcoming obscure video modes

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming obscure video modes

Post by uze6666 »

I say a new video mode is required, mode 11. Fell free to implement, i'll give you commit access on the svn repository (pm me a gmail account).
Janka

Post by Janka »

I will do, but I want to continue with Würgertime first, and I'll have some work (for money, meh) to do, too. :mrgreen:
As there had been some other ideas, like having the sprites at 16 colors, it would be nice to have some sub-modes to support this, too.

How does the static overlay and scrolling of mode 3 work?
(pm me a gmail account)
Gmail really required? Or does any mail account do?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Do you mean, how to use it in a game, or how it's actually implemented?
Apparently you need some sort of google account, since the source are hosted on google code.
Janka

Post by Janka »

uze6666 wrote:
Do you mean, how to use it in a game, or how it's actually implemented?
How it's implemented.
Apparently you need some sort of google account, since the source are hosted on google code.
Ok, then I create one.
Janka

Post by Janka »

I have written a long article about upcoming video mode 11 on the wiki. Please check if it's understandable (and if there are any flaws in logic or bad english).
http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Video_Mode_11
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Looks like a great write-up! :) I'll give it a look in the commute to work tomorrow.
Cornelia

Post by Cornelia »

Janka wrote:My original idea for this 16x4 video mode was having smoother vertical scrolling and having fewer background tiles because of getting rid of the combinations. It was pure coincidence that it also allows a palette and half the flash size for background tiles, and this all at the original resolution of mode 3 and with only small tweaking to mode 3. :mrgreen:

To reflect my feeling about this, I now have to dress up only in a towel, run through the streets and shout EUREKA! :P

:o 16x4 video mode was having smoother vertical scrolling and having fewer background tiles because of getting rid of the combinations.
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Whatever happened to mode 11? I was looking through the trunk today and didn't see it. I downloaded it off google code.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

hpglow wrote:Whatever happened to mode 11? I was looking through the trunk today and didn't see it. I downloaded it off google code.
Good question. I didn't recall it was added to the trunk. We should add it back then.
Janka

Post by Janka »

Guys, I've had a hard time since last year with my mother suffering from a crippling stroke. I had hardly the time to do my regular job, there was no time for hobbies (like finishing my Würgertime game).

Uhn, which "mode 11" we're talking about? However, the basics for "my" mode 11 are there. If anyone like to join the discussion how it should be implemented or even help developing I'm back in.