UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.
yllawwally

Re: UCC2016: The Uzebox Code Challenge returns!

Post by yllawwally »

The levels are made up on the fly. So there is no levels stored. When a player goes to a new level, it is randomly generated. I want to have the midi files stored on the sd, and only load maybe a 64 byte buffer worth of data for the music at a time. I believe for midi 64 bytes is sufficient for about a second worth of music.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well I guess I should have known no level data in a roguelike. 64 bytes should be enough for even very high tempo rapid songs, each note event is 3 bytes IIRC.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I think Alec is still busy with some important life things that come up from time to time like with all of us. I edited the main post to reflect the contributions of Jubatian, this is the only update to the contest information I am aware of.

I am thinking I might want to sponsor an additional UzeNet prize for best use of the internet. Is there anyone interested in UzeNet development for their game?

The emulator and server program are good enough right now to get started with development(windows), since I know most do not have the hardware yet. I think adding it to a game is pretty easy, but I'd like opinions from others experiences also. I'd like to build some interest, even if someone were to add internet high scores or networking to an existing game that seems very impressive to me. They would get some type of fame(no idea what) added on http://uzebox.net as well.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

It would be fun to add some uzenet code to my new project's scoring system. Time and resources allowing of course :) I develop in an OSX environment though. Will uzenet emulation only work on Windows?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

For now it is Windows only but Linux/OSX are highest priority to implement on the emulator side of things. Let me see what I can do in the next few days, I have been stalled out for a bit because I can't get 1.4 to build for me. The actual differences between Winsock and standard Linux/OSX/BSD sockets is quite small, the functionality is the same, and I already made wrappers around all those parts. I will need help to confirm OSX as I only have win/lin machines.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I'll gladly help out with osx confirmation. You can pm me the details when you're ready.
yllawwally

Post by yllawwally »

I am interested in adding uzenet to my game. How is everyone else's UCC2016 coming along? I haven't seen any other screenshots, yet. Except the intriguing phone pic.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I am actively working on mine. The dragon spits fire, enemy sprites move around. If I added sprite-sprite collisions, it already would be sort of a game, just that it isn't that simple. It requires a lot of overall planning since I am pushing every single resource (RAM, ROM, CPU cycles) to the edge. Lots of assembly modules as well.
yllawwally

Post by yllawwally »

And kind of working on mine at the same time, with the stuff you've been putting into your mode 90.
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

dear everyone,
i am in fear that something serious has happened to the guy who's designing the smartwatch (which is a price entry for the UCC2016.
as he didn't had any activity for a while on twitter/gmail (his twitter: https://twitter.com/AtomSoft ) so i have guessed the watch won't be realized, and i lost my 1200 bucks spend on hardware design.

so can Uze6666 please remove the watch project as a prize?

also, if anyone has other ideas to replace the watch prize (if i can afford to put it in it's place), please let me know!

ramon schepers.