Algorithmic music?

This forum is for artists to post their music and graphics or discuss artistic matters that could be used in Uzebox games.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Algorithmic music?

Post by uze6666 »

Awesome! Sounds pretty much like the original now. +1 for the visualization. 8-)
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I just discovered this while updating the sound stuff on the wiki. Very awesome!

Has anyone used it in a game yet?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

As far as I know no one has used it in a game. It wouldn't be too hard to do since you really just have to keep track of 1 byte for the music, then 1 byte for each sound effect, and a little state machine to glue it all together. Never tried designing my own algorithm, so I am not sure how difficult and time intensive it is to come up with something good.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Guess you will find these entertaining:

Rastafiller
MAKE_it_LOUDER!

These are 256 byte demos with graphics and music for the ZX Spectrum. They likely use some algorithmic hacks to get these playing! :D

EDIT: And someone came up with this for the C64: A Mind Is Born (also 256 bytes)
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Jubatian wrote:Guess you will find these entertaining:

Rastafiller
MAKE_it_LOUDER!

These are 256 byte demos with graphics and music for the ZX Spectrum. They likely use some algorithmic hacks to get these playing! :D

EDIT: And someone came up with this for the C64: A Mind Is Born (also 256 bytes)
MAKE_it_LOUDER is so catchy, I'd love to hear that in a Uzebox game.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice finds. Those all sound good and super efficient. 256 bytes is mind blowing. It would be higher level than the demo previously in this thread, since it doesn't generate the waveform itself, so clearly has a much more musical result. Someone could probably do something do an algorithm that uses the streaming music and inserts Note On events into the buffer, handles timing and such, and see what happens.
MAKE_it_LOUDER is so catchy, I'd love to hear that in a Uzebox game.
I wonder if emulating the ZX Spectrum AY-3-8910 would be practical on Uzebox. It would be pretty cool but I would assume it then requires extra external parts, and probably cannot generate video at the same time. Still pretty cool:
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'd like to steal your algo music code DE but you don't seem to have the source for it in your UB github repo and I'm getting these errors when I try to use the code sample from this thread:
undefined reference to `mix_bank'
undefined reference to `mix_buf'
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I'm bad about losing code but I will try to find it. Pretty sure what's listed was close if not exactly as in the video soundwise.

Not sure, but probably just need vsync mixer in your makefile? I think it's -DSOUND_MIXER=0