Uzebox DTV on Kickstarter

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
CunningFellow

Uzebox DTV on Kickstarter

Post by CunningFellow »

OK - I am getting ready to launch a kickstarter for the Uzebox DTV.

Here is a preview if anyone can give me feedback.

Feedback on the page, the pictures.

Even feedback on the price - if you think it is too little or too much.

Basically if I only sell 10 units it will cost me $65 each to do them - I don't mind loosing a little bit of money to get them into the hands of other people.

If I sell 50 units I will be at break even.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... n=f6a07be1
D3thAdd3r

Re: Uzebox DTV on Kickstarter

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I will certainly buy one. The price point is quite attractive as well I think; while at the same time, there is no love for the expansion module? It will go somewhere once I have free time again.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Im betting that it will only sell < 50 units.

If it amazes me and sells 1000's then I will include an ESP2866 and a SPI RAM.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Awesome. Seems I about to back my first Kikstarter. :P

A couple comments. I'd elaborate with "what's in the box", does it have cables and how they will plug, SD card with games, etc. What's the interface to the TV: Composite, SVIDEO? A nice touch, I'd consider have some 3D stickers made with the Uzebox logo to go on the top part of the controller. I'd say 240x224 and 5 audio channels in the capabilities section. Oh, and to play safe perhaps I'd push the delivery of that 5000$ reward in 2016...just in case... ;)

So nice video with explanations and games would also help, no doubt.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Thanks for feedback.

Didn't even think about explaining how it connected (2 RCA for composite and 1 USB male for power)

It there is only a few sales, I wont be including a uSD card (as I will be loosing money already on a small number of sales)

If it has heaps of sales I will update the page and say it comes with a uSD card now.

If it goes insane I will update the page saying it now includes the ESP2866 and RAM.

neither of those things I am going to put in as "stretch goals" though. It will be just a secret bonus people get if it goes well.

I need to find someone to help me do a video - I am that is completely unfamiliar territory to me.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Does it already have holes for soldering in SPI ram and 8266? Then including them is a moot point.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

no - but I will know by the 10th day of the campaign if its gone viral.

That gives me 35 days to change the PCB.

I can do about 5 spins in that amount of time to make sure its OK.
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

Will this one have the cutout in the back with the extension header poking through? Because I vote no to that (the opening in the controller bothers me somehow), but yes to holes in the pcb that allow you to attach the pins yourself if you want. I think the current page looks great, but yes a video would always help. People like videos for whatever reason. I once heard "people don't know what they want until you show them" and somehow I think that applies here. Some gameplay shots of well known classics first, then some Uzebox originals, then just some glamor shots of the Uzebox DTV with cool taglines about its capabilities overlayed maybe.

I'm really excited about this honestly. When you first showed off the dtv version I already wanted one, and now I can get one for myself and maybe even a few for friends too so they can play my creations!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Thanks for the feedback.

Doing the video is sounding scarier every minute :O

If I am going to expose the ISP interface on the final version - it will be a female header with a very neat cutout. But I think I will leave the ISP header off the "commercial" version. The bootloader should be good enough for most people.
jhhoward

Post by jhhoward »

This looks really interesting!

Do you have any photos of your prototypes and how the power + video / audio cables are hooked in?