How do you add a laptop or netbook harddrive to the uzebox?

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
Speeddemon

How do you add a laptop or netbook harddrive to the uzebox?

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi newbie here I like to say hello to all I love the uzebox !!! Can anyone here tell me Is there a simple way to hook up a sata laptop small harddrive to the uzebox? Insteed of
using the s.d :?: card slot. :ugeek: whats needed to swap in a harddrive to the uzebox ?
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: How do you add a laptop or netbook harddrive to the uzebox?

Post by uze6666 »

Say whaaat?! Why would you want to do that! :shock: I don't know much about the sata so i can't say. You need more space?
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

hi its a idea I had to make uzebox better aka more game storage space n faster game loading .plus I hav a some laptop n netbook harddrives n screens I would like to use on the uzeb :geek: ox someday
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

Speeddemon wrote:hi its a idea I had to make uzebox better aka more game storage space n faster game loading .plus I hav a some laptop n netbook harddrives n screens I would like to use on the uzeb :geek: ox someday
An uze file won't have more than 60 * 1024 + 512 bytes.
Suppose you have a 1GB sd card:
>>> (1024 ** 3) / (((1024 * 60) + 512))

17331 games per card :lol:

If you plan on storing something else, then it might be worth it :ugeek: .
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Loading time will undoubtably be slower than the sd interface, mainly due to the protocol handling...maybe only bit bang is possible, who knows.

Right now you can get a 64G sd, so i say interfacing a HDD ,although cool and geeky, is perhaps not very useful or practical. But again, who am I to judge, the important is to hack something and have fun doing it! 8-)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi and tys to all who replyed I would think harddrive acc time wounit be to much of.a trad off and having more bufferd ram to boot in the trade off too from adding a hardrive!!!! I want to port other games n emus and see.what can work on the uzebox n make some new games n bring back some good old ones and not having a bunch of s.d cards n money for them a har :oops: ddrive is a way better deal and program on the fly ie load from a pc and then plug in the uzebox if any has a way to hook one up to the uzebox ie sch n parts list let me know ty all n pce :geek:
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

I think. maybe hav away to. can a usb port be added to the.uzebox?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

External hard drives I have taken apart actually are sata with a little board to interface with usb. I know there is http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html, but I am not sure it would work with uzebox(it needs an edge triggered intterupt). Seems more "possible" to make an uzebox driver for usb than for sata directly. Not that I know much about such things... but I know enough to say it would be a lot of work; and it would be very cool if someone figured it out :)
Speeddemon

Post by Speeddemon »

Hi lee n tys for your reply it would be nice if there was a way to do it I was thinking if the uzebox had a usb port and I used a usb to sata n pata harddrive adaptor tester the ones for hooking up to a pc and testing out harddrives and someone to write the code it might work ?? we just hav to wait n see
R :mrgreen: :idea:ttyl n pce